The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Webmail (Horde) does not work with firewalls

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by KimBO, Dec 14, 2005.

1. KimBO

KimBO Well-Known Member

Hello...

we have customers which working behind a firewall (the firewalls can not be reconfigured - there are some complete business solutions). These customers have no possibilities to connect to the different kind of the webmail interface, only to their webpages.

It there a solution for helping these customers? The access to their webpages through their firewall works, but not the webmail interface like horde...

Greetings and THANKS!

KimBO
    :D

2. ramprage

ramprage Well-Known Member

Webmail, cpanel and WHM all use different ports than port 80

webmail uses 2095 cpanel uses 2082 and whm uses 2085.

The only way you can get around this is by using CpanelProxy but I'm not sure how secure it is.

3. GTFO

GTFO Active Member

The firewall issue is a problem, yet i've found that if someone is in need of the cpanel and webmail interface bad enough, they will have the ports opened up. I am unfamiliar with the cpanel by proxy setup.

An alternative for those who work at IBM and cant get these ports opened up because they are too low on the food chain...

Have them create a yahoo.com account. With the yahoo account, their are options within that will allow you to setup "pop" access to a mail account. Yahoo will essentially "POP" your server, and download the messages into their interface. Its a last resort type option, but it is definitely a viable option as I believe the yahoo mail interface does not use a port that can be blocked.

4. fwwebs

fwwebs Well-Known Member

Try installing a webmail script server-wide that uses port 80.

5. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

http://www.cpanelproxy.net is one way to go.

I have it installed for users who can't gain access to the relevant whm, cpanel and webmail ports and find no problems with it.

6. KimBO

KimBO Well-Known Member

I tried CpanelProxy... it seems to work, but one customer said, that they have the name blocked -> if you have names like "mail" "webmail" or something else, then this site are direclty blocked... how can I reconfigure CpanelProxy to have another name...????

Greetings and THX...

KimBO
    :D

7. ramprage

ramprage Well-Known Member

webmail is just a alias to the port 2095

Check httpd.conf and add another alias

Alternatively you can install Horde or whatever webmail script you want on the users account directly.