The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

webmail login - just won't let any sub-email accounts in.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by JustinK, Sep 24, 2002.

1. JustinK

JustinK Well-Known Member

I have an odd problem that was just brought up by a customer today. Despite all efforts, they can't login to their webmail for any accounts they create through cpanel. I tried them all, added new, etc... etc.. didn't work. Permissions are correct, the files don't appear corrupt and it only appears to be happening to this account (thus far). Anyone know what all files to check for email accounts created through cpanel? I want to make sure I didn't miss something.

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

how are they logging in? If they are logging in via /webmail is it presenting them with a login box? have they tried adding the domain with the username? ie info@domain.com as the user?

3. JustinK

I went through and did all the testing I could think of for it. with and without @domain.com, with +domain.com and all the other symbols... It just won't let any of their extra email accounts login. I created an e-mail account on another domain to see if the same thing happened there, but that one let me right in. I tried re-creating the e-mail account and nothing.

4. bdraco

bdraco Guest

What was the support ticket # for this ?

5. JustinK

There wasn't one. ;) Figured I'd ask the community in hopes someone else ran into the same problem and fixed it. I'll send a ticket in however since it just keeps getting weirder. I'm going to recreate the account myself first, but the reseller had already removed the account and then added it again. Same problem.

6. JustinK

Alright, I officially can't figure it out.
    Ticket #1062

7. JustinK

Having a lovely day end now. Just got a second report of this problem, different server and this time on cpanel 4.9 build 60. The 2nd server is set to manual updates and automatic security updates.

8. JustinK

Alright, Nick kindly found the problem and added a fix. :) Apparently one of the other user's files in /var/cpanel/user had a line DNS#=domainhavingproblem.com in it and cpanel kept trying to grab the password data from the user's domain instead of the password data located in the domain's actual directory. Just had to remove the DNS#=domainhavingproblem.com line from that file.

9. moronhead

moronhead Well-Known Member

Are you sure Nick has entirely removed domainhavingproblem.com from /var/cpanel/user file? Normally sub-domains, addon and parked domains would all have a DNS line in that file.

It could be that the DNS # for masterdomain.com and domainhavingproblem.com were the same - when they should be different - and that created the email login problem.

10. JustinK

It wasn't an add-on/parked/subdomain, it was a completely separate domain. Somehow a line for it ended up in the reseller's file and it kept looking in the reseller's account for the login info that wasn't there.