The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Webmail missing / restore from backup

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by drose25, Jun 17, 2003.

1. drose25

drose25 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how to restore webmail from backup? I have a client who has somehow lost a bunch of old email he kept on the server. I've pulled the weekly and monthly backups for his account and pulled out the inbox for each one. Locally, if I try to import a Unix mailbox into my email client, I get around 350 messages a piece.

If I upload the inbox to his account (under a new mail address so his existing inbox isn't disturbed) I get no messages for the weekly backup and only around 30 for the monthly backup if I try to view them with webmail.

Anyone know how I can restore these files so the client can access them from webmail? He wants to forward the messages he needs to keep back to his main mailbox.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. casey

casey Well-Known Member

You probably already checked, but are you uploading INBOX only or are you uploading INBOX.saved, INBOX.drafts, etc. too? Most of his messages are probably not in the plain INBOX file, I wouldn't think.

I'm just a newbie, so I don't know for sure. Sorry if it didn't help.

3. drose25

drose25 Well-Known Member

At the moment I'm just working with the inbox file found in the mail directory....should I go ahead and try to replace all the files in the .neomail directory as well? I thought if they weren't there it would recreate them based on the mail in the inbox file.

4. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Well, I haven't used neomail, but Horde and Squirrelmail put saved messages in a file called INBOX.saved or something like that. That way, when the person uses Outlook Express or whatever the messages do not get downloaded but are stored on the server. I would try uploading all the files that start with "inbox".
    If there's a .neomail directory, I would try uploading that, too.