The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

webmail on different ports

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Sheldon, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knows how I could go about having a seperate installation or a session of webmail run on port 80 as I several clients who cant access anything but port 80 at work.

Thanks

2. icanectc

icanectc Well-Known Member

I dont' believe you can change the ports however if you dont run phpSUEXEC there is a proxy script floating somewhere on this board you can setup that you can setup on your hosting site to allow people behind a firewall that blocks these ports to beable to login. If you run PHPsuEXEC I have not found a way to get a proxy to work..

3. Sheldon

I dont know if im running phpSUEXEC .. how can I find out?

And if I am what are the security concerns?

4. projectandrew

projectandrew Well-Known Member

5. Sheldon

ahh theres a much easier way...

just create subdomains and throw the files in there.. I think that works much better.

Sheldon

6. projectandrew

The only problem is that you then have x number of copies of the files across your server, so when a new version comes out, you have to update them all. With this method, the files only exist once, plus new accounts will automatically be enabled with the proxy script.

Obviously, if you are only running a couple of domains, then the standard create subdomains option might be easier for you.

7. Sheldon

well the fact that I dont want any unauthorized people using this script as it logs you in under localhost not as yourself.. a very good way to spoof the server and allow access to things I dont want people having access to..

Hackers im sure could exploit this script quite nicely!

One reason why its not enabled all over town.. if you know what I mean.

8. projectandrew

Although the last login in cpanel reports localhost when using the cpanel proxy script, the actual client information is still logged to /usr/local/apache/logs/access_log.

The last login information that is displayed in cpanel is stored in the file /home/accountname/.lastlogin, and only contains one entry - i.e. the last login - whereas the access log contains every login ever made (until the logs are rotated anyway).

There is no extra risk from using the proxy script, over using the /cpanel shortcut (which links to :2082). The only way of getting extra security, is to use SSL encryption. I believe, from reading the authors site, that some people have reported that the script works over SSL, with a little extra config in apache.