The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WebMail or PHP SPAM - Exim CPU overload

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by horyfilipe, Apr 9, 2007.

1. horyfilipe

horyfilipe Active Member

Greetings

I could never find a solution for the following problem:

If some user deide to spam through webmail or some CGI/PHP Script, I can set a limit per emails his domain can send per hour.

Lets say I limit domain example.com to send 200 emails per hour and discard the rest.

It works, but exim will overload CPU and server will most probably be unaccessible for some minutes or even more.

Does anyone face this problem too? Its not just one server.. we have some servers and all of them this problem is present. Exim overloads even if emails are being discarded because of it reached the limit.

Maybe some way to set exim to eat just some % of CPU? What would be a final solution for this?

Any help would be very appreciated

Thanks in advance!

2. horyfilipe

horyfilipe Active Member

Any clue? thought lots of ppl used to face this issue

3. ramprage

ramprage Well-Known Member

Suspend the account sending it and disble the script.

4. horyfilipe

horyfilipe Active Member

Yea, I am tired of doing a repressive work instead of a preventive one. I mean, it happens daily and I can suspend the account, yea, but I cant help the uptime damage. I would like some solution to prevent the downtime.. maybe some CPU limitation for the exim or something like that.. Its not just by scripts.. even using Horde, for example, they can turn server down with massive spam :/