The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

webmail proxy change on a per-domain basis with 11.23

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by orty, May 28, 2008.

1. orty

orty Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Noticed the 11.23 upgrade, and noticed the "webmail.*" proxy that's created so webmail.domain.com is the same as domain.com/webmail/ . However, I have a few domains where I did this trick where I changed their /webmail direction using some httpd.conf tricks (that's a bit dated, as I don't include the slight tweaks you have to make with EasyApache3, but the config directives are generally the same -- I digress...).

So while 95% of my clients will like this feature, the few I've setup custom redirects for now have webmail.domain.com going to the cPanel and domain.com/webmail going to the redirect. I'd could just get rid of the webmail.domain.com for those particular clients, as they don't know that it even works, but I'd like to have the option for both.

I tried running this command to get rid of the proxy info for a single domain:
    Code:
    /scripts/proxydomains remove --domain=domain.com
    It returns that it works fine, but when I try to load webmail.domain.com, it still loads the cPanel web interface, not the redirect (even after an apache restart).

How do I set it up so that webmail.domain.com and domain.com/webmail both go to a custom URL?

-jake (orty)

2. jdlightsey

jdlightsey Perl Developer III
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The Apache changes for the proxy subdomains are completely generic. It will catch everything coming in with cpanel.<something> or webmail.<something>. What /scripts/proxydomains changes is the DNS record for the domain. It's removing cpanel/webmail/webdisk/whm from there, and that change isn't going to be apparent until your local caching DNS server refreshes the DNS zone.

Just add webmail.domain.com as a subdomain and add a redirect to webmail.domain.com.

3. orty

orty Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ah...OK, didn't know it was strictly a DNS thing -- which is why it didnt' work yesterday but now does today.

Thanks!

4. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Can you tell me if running "/scripts/proxydomains add" will cause the DNS zones to be updated and synchronized even if the same subdomains have been added previously?

5. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

It does indeed, caught me out when it first appeared (a few clients have webmail subdomains pointing at their own servers)

6. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Thats very useful - it means that we can make bulk changes to our zone files and then use that to send the DNS upates to the nameservers.

Its better than using the DNS synchronisation options in WHM because that does ALL zone files on the server based on the timestamp, not just the cpanel users domains and it means we dont have to update the timestamps manually :)