The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Webmail & remote admin & ports

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by o4tuna, May 22, 2006.

1. o4tuna

o4tuna Registered

I've been using host4students as my host (now defucnt), they used something called cpanel (different? the same?) & squirrel mail. My new provider, ultrasurge also uses cpanel & squirrel mail. they seem to have it set up & working Ok. But they claim I can't login to either the admin page or the webmail page without having access to certain ports. The old host DID NOT require this. This makes my hosting account almost useless, as I'm mostly accessing via a network I do not control the firewall on.

Is there anything I can change the configuration of to allow me to at least access my email?
    Installing any programs on the client end is NOT an option. setting ports on the firewall is out of the question. Going through a proxy seems like an AWFUL lot of trouble. Using the installed email program to go to the smtp or pop route would also not be a good thing, know what I mean?

A thumb drive with "live" software might work, maybe. But I would far & away prefer to be able to use WEBmail like any other WEBmail provider has it set up. Just point the browser at the interface & it works, no ports, no tears!

If you can't change it, why not?
    Every other WEBmail provider in the world allows access via the webpage, with no port configuration...

2. WEB-PROS

WEB-PROS Well-Known Member

There is a thing called Cpanel proxy which you install on your account and creates a sudomain , you can then access Cpanel throught cpanel.yourdomain.com

http://cpanelproxy.net/autoinstall

Go on there enter the correct Information and your be on your way.

3. o4tuna

o4tuna Registered

I think it worked

Interesting....
    Thanks, I read about that in another thread, thought it sounded like someting that needed to be installed on the client end:rolleyes:
    So, I went & ran it, looks like it created 2 subdomains - cpanel.domain.com & webmail.domain.com. & after DNS propagation, I should be able to login from anywhere?
    Cool:eek:
    If it works, thanks:D
    I'll test it out & let you know.

Seems like a lot of people are having this issue, just they're not wording the questions very well & the answers are kinda vague...

4. o4tuna

o4tuna Registered

It Works!!

Thanks!
    It works great!