The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

webmail subdomain on all new account

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by herbertjoei, Nov 28, 2006.

1. herbertjoei

herbertjoei Member

Hi,

Is there a way to have cpanel create a webmail.domain.com subdomain on all new accounts and automatically configure it to redirect to www.domain.com/webmail?

I know I can create a webmail subdomain and create a redirect to it manually on every site I create but I want it to be automatic.

So far, what I have done is to edit the DNS template to contain webmail as A record so that there would be a webmail subdomain.

I think I should be adding a /webmail to the public_html with some redirect rule on the skeleton but i'm not really sure how to do this.

Can somebody help? Thanks.

Herbert

2. lostinspace

lostinspace Well-Known Member

You'll want to create a 'webmail' dirictory within the skeleton directory and add an .htaccess file to the directory with the following:
    Code:
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^webmail.domain.com$
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://domain.com/webmail [R=301,L]
    I guess I just realized the problem with this while I typed the reply (how can you specify the resellers domain automatically??).

3. herbertjoei

herbertjoei Member

That is exactly my problem. Unlike the DNS template, there's a variable that can be substituted for the actual domain.

Thanks for replying!

4. lostinspace

lostinspace Well-Known Member

Well, not the ideal fix but you can supply your reseller domain as the domain. This will work for any non dedicated IPs.