DigitalEssence

May 21, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,

I'm getting the error: The login is invalid when I try to login to Webmail from my computer.

This is a new account I have just set up. I also can't connect from Outlook although I can connect to my existing email accounts from Outlook.

Log in, receive and send are all set to allow and I can connect if I go via cPanel > Access Webmail.

I've tried logging in from another computer and I can log in so I know the email account and password is correct and that I am being blocked but I can't work out how.

I'm on a static IP and I have checked that this hasn't changed.

My IP is whitelisted in CPHulk and I have disabled CPHulk to test - still no access
My IP is whitelisted in CSF and I have also disabled csf and lfd to test - still no access

I can't see anything in /usr/local/cpanel/logs/access_log or login_log or var/log/messages and there is nothing in /var/log/maillog

I have now drawn a blank as AFAIK I have tried the usual suspects and posible solutions mentioned in the forums.

Last edited:

cPanelMichael

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
I can't see anything in /usr/local/cpanel/logs/access_log or login_log or var/log/messages and there is nothing in /var/log/maillog
Hello,

It's unusual to not see any entries in /usr/local/cpanel/logs/access_log or /var/log/maillog when attempting to authenticate using one of the Webmail applications available in cPanel. Are you accessing cPanel using the domain name, or the server's IP address? Is it possible the domain name you are using to access cPanel or Webmail with doesn't resolve to the IP address of the cPanel server you are reviewing the log files on?

Thank you.

DigitalEssence

May 21, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm accessing webmail using webmail.domainname.tld and using a [email protected] email address so it is def the correct server for the logs.

I have just tried testing again by disabling Modsec, logged in ok, logged out, turned Modsec back on again and then was still able to log in. I know I was stupid not to have tested first before disabling Modsec. Rookie error so we don't know if that was the issue or not.

But, my IP is not in the Modsec logs so I'm tempted to rule this out.

Either way, I can now access the email account using webmail and /usr/local/cpanel/logs/access_log is now showing my logins with browser agent etc.

cPanelMichael

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Hi @DigitalEssence,

By using "webmail.domain.tld", you are making use of the proxy subdomains feature. This allows you to access cPanel services over port 80, and thus it's possible Mod_Security rules can restrict access. Do you notice any output in the Apache error log (/usr/local/apache/logs/error_log) around the times the webmail login attempts were failing? The IP address in the log output may show as 127.0.0.1 instead of your own personal IP address.

Thank you.

DigitalEssence

May 21, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi Michael,

I've got the same issue again so am able to tail the apache error log but I can't see anything in error_log when I attempt to log in.

I was able to login via webmail using the server IP address:2095 while at the same time being unable to log in via the domain name.

When doing this, /usr/local/cpanel/logs/access_log didn't have any entries when logging in via the domain name but did when via the IP address.

During this test, modsec and CPHulk were both off (I'm using CMC to control Modsec) and I'm tailing my lfd log and there is no mention of my IP anywhere.

At least we are getting closer to the issue.