Webmail times out when writing long messages

adamreece.webbox

Nov 3, 2016
Penarth, United Kingdom
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi there,

We've got a particular client using Roundcube as their regular email client. (And why wouldn't they? :)) However we've had a complaint that the session times out when writing long emails, which usually means the long email typed out is gone. (Yes the client could probably press Back a few times and sometimes salvage it but let's not assume all webmail users are this tech savvy.)

I've not seen any option around the Tweak Settings section to increase the webmail timeout. Is there an option for this anywhere?

Obviously I'd suggest using a locally installed mail application for heavy email use, though if cPanel provides webmail access it needs to work for those wanting to write some long messages. This client of ours is comfortable with the webmail interface.

Thanks

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
How long of a wait are we talking about here? I've never had webmail timeout on me unless I've logged into another webmail account. Trying to understand what exactly is timing out for the user here.

adamreece.webbox

Nov 3, 2016
Penarth, United Kingdom
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'm not sure how long the client was taking to write a message, but I suggested that he turn on the auto-save draft option in Roundcube to 1 minute. -- He has since told me it is MUCH better. I wouldn't be surprised if emails being written were taking over half an hour though.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
That's good to hear. Next time it does happen I'm wondering if you could potentially check the following for any information:

/var/log/maillog
/usr/local/cpanel/logs/access_log
/usr/local/cpanel/logs/session_log