The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Webmail_Is my host's tech support right that it does not work?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by GlennLondonn, Jun 16, 2004.

1. GlennLondonn

GlennLondonn Registered

Hello,

I have just set up my small business and family website on a host that uses cpanel.
    I have set up email accounts for assorted users.
    I find, however, that they cannot access any form of true webmail. The only user id that will access the webmail programs (horde etc) is my main account that logs into cpanel. Obviously I do not want everyone being able to do this.

So I put this question to my new host.
    This was his reply...

"...currently the only way to enter the default webmail system at http://domain.com/webmail is if the person knows the cpanel login details. Its because this system is meant for main account holder only.

Incase you want your webmail for users then i would suggest recommending them POP/SMTP or you can install your own webmail software in some other folder or outsource your email to sites like http://everyone.net "

This did not seem reasonable.
    If only pop3 settings or the site administrator can use the webmail programs, then it is hardly webmail at all.

So I replied querying this and pointing out that with a previous host I had used, ALL people I gave email accounts to were able to use true webmail when roaming about using netcafs etc (ie, not with pop3 settings etc), by logging in via webmail/my_domain which then directed them to the Horde interface. My host's reply was simply.

"We cannot edit the default webmail system created by cpanel developers. You will find the same system being implemented with every web host that provides cpanel control panel for clients.

As said earlier also the only alternative to this incase you install your own webmail application in some other folder."

So apparently the fact that webmail is not available to any of my family or asociates through my new host is caused by cpanel.

Perhaps I am missing something, but this all seems a little illogical.

Why have 3 webmail programs available in cpanel if the only person who can safely/simply use them is the site administrator?

Why could my last (and in all other ways completely unreliable host) have simple and effective webmail and two years later I have to install a third party program to get the same results?

Any further information about this would be greatly appreciated.

With thanks,

Glenn.

2. pguy

pguy Well-Known Member

if you have created a pop account, you can use it for webmail.

http://www.yourdomain.com/webmail/

use the ENTIRE email ID as the login.
    pass - the pop 3 pass for that domain.

Ofcourse webmail is for everyone to use :D

3. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Exactly, any e-mail account created can be accessed through the webmail link, it is just a matter of using the correct syntax for the id.

I have to say though, I really hate these hosts that blame cPanel for their own ignorance and lack of knowledge on a product. The motto of the hosting industry is?? "Buyer beware" as anyone can make a site look good, use all the bells and whistles and have good pricing, but nothing can make up for their stupidity and lack of knowledge. In the end the customer gets screwed.

4. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

It does appear that you have been "trapped" by another one of the many "get rich quick" people out there who offer services they know little about.

As pguy said, if they have a POP account, they can log in with domain.com/webmail/. They just need to put the full email address for the username.

5. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well, that user may not be "trapped" but I agree that they should not be blaming cpanel for their lack of knowledge on the product. If the host had come here and searched the forums first before answering, he could have saved himself from looking like an idiot . . .

But hey, whatcha gunna do

6. PbG

PbG Well-Known Member

lol answer the question as we have . . . it's up to the op if they want to to continue entrusting their business to that host.

7. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I never heard a question . . .

And thanks for dumbing down the exact same things that everyone else just said. Way to contribute.