Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Webmin installed on cPanel server?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by martin MHC, Apr 24, 2018.

1. martin MHC

martin MHC Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have been exploring my sever load and process manager in WHM 68.0.37 (Release Tier) due to odd server loads and unexpected behaviours on some sites.

My question is NOT about the odd behaviour per say, but about something else I've found:

I see a lot of this appearing on the process logs:

root | 0 | 0.00 | 0.92 | /usr/bin/perl /usr/libexec/webmin/miniserv.pl /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf

Now; I am curious why WHM on my Apache server uses or even needs webmin? The Webmin official website (here: Webmin ) states:

"WARNING : Running Webmin under Apache is almost never necessary unless you are on a very low-memory system that is already running Apache. Doing so will make Webmin slower, break some features and force use of the old ugly UI."

So; please can someone from WHM:

My server is not a "low memory" environment; loads are relatively low; rarely topping 0.3 (over 5 mins).

1) Reassure me that WHM is indeed intending to run webmin miniserv.pl under 'root' (rather than nobody).
    2) Reassure me why this is so, if this is not recommended by Webmin?
    3) If there is any critical risk to me either deleting or otherwise mothballing webmin on my server?

Cheers

Martin

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Martin,

That's actually not a process related to or provided by the cPanel & WHM software. It was either installed manually by someone with root access to the system, or it's possible it was installed prior to the cPanel & WHM installation. For instance, did you setup a minimal instance of CentOS before installing cPanel & WHM?

Thank you.

3. martin MHC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Michael,
    Thanks for your feedback. I was not involved with the setup of the server and have inherited the system as is from another company.

I will chase this up with the datacentre server provider. Cheers

4. martin MHC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Exploring more closely the webmin seems to be utalising a file /etc/shadow which stores hashes of psswords and plaintext access details for cpanel accounts.

Is this file (/etc/shadow, and variations thereof such as shadow- and shadow,v ) something that WHM / Cpanel uses itself?

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Yes, this file is utilized by cPanel & WHM. It's where the passwords (encrypted) for the users on the system are stored.

Thank you.