The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Website down

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ayjvee, Jun 29, 2008.

1. ayjvee

ayjvee Member

Hi, this is probably a bit of a longshot, but here goes...
    (I'm not even sure if this is the sort of problem this forum deals with)
    I have a website, warneford-oldies.com, not much of a site, granted, but all the same my pride and joy!
    However, a few months ago the website went down and I emailed my hosts to ask if they could throw any light on it. The email came back, as did all the others I sent. It seems that 'orangeboxinternet' no longer exist, though I paid them well in advance. Oddly enough, the cPanelX is still accessible, and I have tried many times to re-upload my site via the FrontPage Extensions, but to no avail. Today, I thought I'd try again and see that the icon for the F'page extensions has somehow been removed, so I tried via ftp and, from thereon in, messed just about everything up as I no longer have emails either!
    I would really appreciate your comments, but please bear in mind that I struggle to understand computer jargon as my experience only extends to something as simple as FrontPage! I hope someone can help.
    Many thanks, Alec.

#1 ayjvee, Jun 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2008
  2. StevenD

StevenD Member

Sounds like you need to arrange new home for the site, some new hosting, and contact the domain name registrar and change the dns to point to wherever the new home is located

3. ayjvee

ayjvee Member

Hi,
    I was afraid of that! I've found a 'new' host at the right price and have contacted 'godaddy' (registrar) but... It seems godaddy need permission from my existing host in order to move servers. ?!

4. koolcards

koolcards Well-Known Member

No.

Currently your name servers are at eukdns.com, which point to the name servers at orangeboxinternet.co.uk:

You want to modify your domain record for warneford-oldies.com either at godaddy.com OR change the DNS entries at eukdns.com to point to whatever your new hosts says to use.

5. ayjvee

ayjvee Member

Boy, is this confusing! I remember using EUK ages ago and thought they were well out of it now!
    I suppose what you're saying is that although 'orangeboxinternet' no longer exist, I can by-pass them with no complications whatsoever?
    I'm not really 'up' on this as you can probably tell; I paid everyone well up front to avoid a situation similar to this and they take my money and disappear!

6. a66fm

a66fm Well-Known Member

have you tried to upload your site's files (via ftp) inside the public_html folder

7. koolcards

koolcards Well-Known Member

You don't want to 'move' name servers belonging to somebody else but change the name servers your domain currently uses and that can be done within your account interface at http://www.godaddy.com (you don't need to contact them, just make the modifications yourself).

Modify your domain within that account interface to use the new name servers given to you by your host. And continue to follow the instructions from your new host regarding your files, etc.

8. ayjvee

ayjvee Member

Hi, the answer to that is 'No' as I don't have the faintest idea how to do it! :-(

I do however, now understand things with regard to name servers etc thanks to Koolcards.

If you would be willing to give some guidance via ftp then that would be appreciated a66fm. I'll quite understand if you feel it's too involved or that I'm a little too dense to take it in!

Many thanks for all replies to date.

9. a66fm

a66fm Well-Known Member

where did you upload your files then?

#9 a66fm, Jul 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  10. ayjvee

ayjvee Member

I don't think this is going to work! My initial response to your question is: At home via FrontPage, but I'm thinking that's not what you mean? Where did I upload them?? I'm lost already!
    Quite how I managed to do it all in the first place came as a surprise to me; I really can't remember how I did it other than I used Frontpage to publish if that helps?