The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Website has gone down need to restore backup

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by smush, Mar 11, 2016.

1. smush

smush Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello
    I did a full back up of my website before installing an extension causing it to go down. I think I only need to restore the home directory so can I take the homedir folder out of the full back up, zip it up and restore it through cpanel? Which folder will need deleting before restoring the back up?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It depends on the type of plugin/extension you installed. Is this an application such as WordPress? If so, you may have to restore the MySQL database, as well. Your website files are stored in the public_html directory by default, so that's the directory you will need to restore from backup.

Thank you.

3. smush

smush Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    It was OpenCart. So should I delete public_html folder from cpanel file manager then take out the public_html folder from the full backup I did then zip it back up and restore it through cpanel backup wizard as restore type - home directory?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You could extract the backup archive on your local system and then manually upload the files via FTP (assuming you removed the existing files). Note that you may want to ensure the archive includes the required files before removing any existing data.

Thank you.