Website optimised for HTTP 2.0, not 1.1 - Bad idea?

Reado

Sep 8, 2009
United Kingdom
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
With HTTP/1.1, our website had a separate sub-domain that handled all requests for images, CSS and JavaScript. This configuration also meant that no cookies were used on that sub-domain, which was the recommendations given by YSlow at the time.

As things have moved on, we have implemented HTTP/2.0 and scrapped the sub-domain, so now everything is served from one domain. For clients using HTTP/2.0, our website is faster than ever, but would it be fair to say that clients that still use the HTTP/1.1 method would see poorer performance?

Looking at our Google Webmaster Tools, our page load time is higher compared to what it is in Google Chrome or Firefox. I'm guessing this is because Googlebot still uses HTTP/1.1 and therefore will not see the benefits of HTTP/2.0.

So instead of just optimising the website for HTTP/2.0 and removing the optimisations for HTTP/1.1, should I be optimising the website for both, which would cater for Googlebot too?

If I re-add these optimisations for HTTP/1.1, is it likely our Google Webmaster Tools will start to report better load times?