Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Website response was slow

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hana, Dec 18, 2017.

1. hana

hana Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We had one problem a few days ago, it might be solved now, but we don't know why it happened, so we want to know the reason.
    Detail is following.

One of the domain's website has become time-out when it sent emails by PHP-system 4 days ago, it's happened from 4 days ago for 2 days.
    Before it happened, that system worked well for several years.

That trouble happened suddenly with no changing for the system, program, database setting and every environment.

The system uses PHP as PHP-FPM and MySQL.
    It chooses the target from MySQL, read the template of mail-body from text-file, sends email, updates status for MySQL.

They also executed very similar functions which send e-mails and it ended with no problem.
    The only difference is the table.

We transferred their data with transfer tool to other Cpanel server for an investigation.
    The system worked well on the new server.
    It showed their program and data is not wrong.

At the end, we couldn't find what was wrong.

By the way, there was a message 'You must reboot the server to apply software updates'.
    We only rebooted the original servers two days ago, and then the system works well until now.

We guess the reason for trouble was we didn't reboot to update software or there was something wrong with the memory or process.

If you have information for the similar case, I appreciate so much you'd teach us it.

#1 hana, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2017
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Do you notice any output to /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log or /opt/cpanel/ea-php$$/root/usr/var/log/php-fpm/error.log at the time the website failed to respond?

Thank you.

3. hana

hana Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you for your reply very much.
    I checked the both of log files and there some errors on the time the issue happened.I show error following.

- /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log

[mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 45580] AH00171: Graceful restart requested, doing restart
    [ssl:warn] [pid 45580] AH01909: proxy-subdomains-ssl-default-vhost.localhost:443:0 server certificate does NOT include an ID which matches the server name
    [ssl:warn] [pid 45580] AH01909: *********:443:0 server certificate does NOT include an ID which matches the server name
    [:notice] [pid 45580] mod_ruid2/0.9.8 enabled

These errors have been outputting from a half year ago.

- /opt/cpanel/ea-php55/root/usr/var/log/php-fpm/error.log

ERROR: unable to read what child say: Bad file descriptor (9)
    WARNING: [pool *********] server reached max_children setting (5), consider raising it

These errors occurred regardless of the occurrence of the issue.

I guess they're not the cause of this issue because this issue happened whether or not the error is output to the log.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you review this post and let us know if implementing the suggested workaround helps? While it might not be causing the speed issue, it's a good idea to solve that error first and see if the slowness persists.

Thank you.

5. hana

hana Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you for your advice.
    I've changed the max-children value right now, and keep checking the log file for a while.

I wonder why this issue happened because I run 3 functions which almost same and only one of them failed.
    I also wonder why the issue's solved after server restarted.
    The issue happened after WHM updating.
    Is there any possibility the updating of WHM finished incompletely and it made the issue?

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

If the workaround helps, then it likely addresses the messages you noticed in your log files. However, the slowness issue itself could stem from overall traffic to the website.

Thank you.