The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Website Running Extremely Slow At Times

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ghanaexpo, Oct 23, 2009.

1. ghanaexpo

ghanaexpo Registered

Folks,
    My website, ghanaexpo.com, has been running very slow at times. Sometimes, It does not open at all. I just subscribed to a 100Mbits dedicated server from unmeteredservers.com for $299.00/month, plus $35.00/month for the CPanel. I uploaded my website just last Tuesday, (4 days ago).

This is a movie/music website, with an average of about 50 people on the site at the same time for now. It will definitely increase to between 400 and 500, as from past experience. At the moment, I have about 60GB of MP3 music and about 70 movies (movies are on the average of less than 200mb/movie, with 300 bitrate VP6-E FLV, 12,000 framerate in 320x240 size, of between 60 and 90 minutes each). I will be uploading about 500 more of such movies

Now, the site keeps going down from time to time - sometimes about 7 times in a day. Or it gets really slow, taking forever to open. When I contacted the Technical Support, they told me that I am already close to the limit of my 100Mbps as at that time (when I had only about 53 people on the site at the same time). They are already suggesting that I upgrade my bandwidth port to a highrer level (the next level that they have is 250Mbps for $749.00/month.

HERE IS MY QUESTION: IS THE 100MBPS explanation from technical support really true?

What kind of server and bandwidth would I need to successfully host such a site, if Technical Support is right on their bandwidth explanation?

The following are the server specifications:
    Dell 1425
    Intel Dual Xeon 3.0Ghz
    4GB RAM
    2 x 500GB SATA2 SW Raid0/1
    100Mbit Unmetered Guaranteed Usage Port
    /28 Vlan - 11 Usable IPS
    Top Ranked Tier1 Network
    No Cogent!
    No Contract
    Administration/Support
    Self-Managed Server