The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Website went down for no apparent reason, came back to index.html missing.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jmeyers, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Jmeyers

Jmeyers Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I'm helping someone who runs the domain and has very little technical knowledge. They were given handwritten instructions to use SmartFTP and the admin page on their site by the people that set it up (they took it over from another member of the society because they stepped down). A few days ago the index.html file and the admin/index.html file were wiped out. I recovered the .html code for the index.html page from a recent google cache of the site, but the admin.html page required a log-in and wasn't cached. They have a R1Soft backup from October, but after the restore through cpanel for the admin folder, the admin/index.html was still blank, just a 0 byte file. I'm looking for some guidance on how to recover this file if at all possible.

In addition to that, for some reason the links on the page are directing to blank pages, as far as I can tell all the pictures and files they had on the site are still there, but with my small amount of knowledge with cpanel and this whole process I don't know how to check for 100% sure, external links that were on the page still work, just not the internal ones. The Live Chat techs don't seem to understand what I'm trying to tell them on this issue, and have been working for 2 days to see if they can recover the admin/index.html page, but other then them making a test.html file in the admin folder, they haven't communicated and I haven't seen any results.

Suggestions would be very much appreciated!

The site is:
    /http://www.owsleykyhist.net

2. Jmeyers

Jmeyers Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Re: Website went down for no apparent reason, came back to index.html missi

I've read through the site error log and seem to be coming up with this error since the problem started:
    Call to undefined function themeheader() in /home/owsley/public_html/header.php on line 52

I've replaced the header.php file (from public_html/header.php), as well as the theme.php (public_html/themes/Sand_Journey/theme.php) with versions from a site backup from 2008.

Still having this issue repeatedly in the error log since then. Anyone got any ideas?

#2 Jmeyers, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  3. miriam519

miriam519 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Re: Website went down for no apparent reason, came back to index.html missi

I had this problem before too. I don't know how to fix or debug this.