The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Webspace "Users"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Huminie, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Huminie

Huminie Member

Hi Folks,

I am fairly new to using cPanel after having used Plesk and hSphere first.

I am looking to accomplish something that I know I was able to do in Plesk in the past.

I want to be able to grant people the ability to upload content (pictures mostly) to their own little piece of webspace without needing a whole account.

I know how to set up FTP accounts which are limited to one directory only, but I also need to be able to limit the amout of diskspace they are entitled to. (Transfer is not so important to me, but would be nice.)

In Plesk I was able to create "sub accounts" with a URL like "www.mydomain.com/~username" I would also be open to subdomains, but again, need to limit the allowed disk space.

Does cPanel allow this? I also have WHM access and full server root access as well.

TIA for your time!

(BTW...the reason for this is that I run a forum where people like to upload sig images, and post pictures. The members are getting there own webspace elsewhere and I would prefer to have them upload to the server direct in order to improve page loading...free webhosts tend to be flakey at best. I would prefer they load there images direct to my server to reduce this load time and make things run smoother. Obviously I need to make sure they don't upload gigs of data if left wide open.)

2. Huminie

Huminie Member

I guess this is either a dumb question, or I have stumped everyone.

Any ideas?

3. anand

anand Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    well not a dumb question (atleast for me), frankly i too would like to know if something like this can be done on cpanel. I had this kinda requirement once, i ended up giving the user a seperate account.

Nice question ;)

4. Huminie

Huminie Member

Thanks for replying and confirming I'm not totally insane! LOL

5. anand

anand Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    hehehe LOL

6. Nathan D.

Nathan D. Well-Known Member

Have you received a reply yet? I also need to know how to do this if this is doable...

7. Huminie

Huminie Member

Nope, no replies. Can't confirm this is possible.

8. ccccanada

ccccanada Well-Known Member

You can create a subdomain with sepparate logins but I do not think you will be able to limit the diskspace.

9. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

What forum software are you running?

Most forums have this capability built in and can be controlled from within the admin panel. Those that don't have these features built in can invariably be converted to do so by the addition of a pre-built script/module/addon.

In WHM you can create subdomains for your main domain like forumuser1.yourforumdomain.com etc. with full control over quotas. Create a package and call it forumpkg etc. and set the features you want then allocate that package to your forum users sub domains. Give it a try as you can delete them if its not suitable.

Just seems to me like using a sledghammer to crack a nut.

10. Cscarlet

Cscarlet Active Member

yup I use this way but I dunno how to limit the space used via ftp either

11. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The original poster mentioned they wanted this feature to use within a Forum script. The Forum script should provide this feature and, in this case, is a much better alternative.

Cpanel at this time does not have the specific feature; creating FTP accounts and limiting Web space. You would need to search the script sites and look for something using wording like, Create your own GeoCities, or similar type wording.