The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

webtv compatible skin?

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by cierrahost, Jul 21, 2003.

1. cierrahost

cierrahost Member

I was wondering if anyone has made a skin that is webtv compatible? or where i can find information on how to make my own skin so i can do this. I have webtv sutomers but normal cpanel skins arent fully compatible.

The resolution is not that great and and the FM is in frames. Webtv is not realy good on supporting frames.

Anyones help on this would be greatly appreciated.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. Edizon

Edizon Well-Known Member

WebTV

WebTV is still around? :D

WebTv I believe uses IE 2.0 standards. I you build a theme for CPanel for WebTV, you should use older specifications. Like HTML 3.2, no frames, no DHTML, basic Javascript (LiveScript?). Pretty much strip the site into basic HTML and images.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to create one. I really dont think its in "High Demmand", however it would be nice to add a layer of compatibility for Cpanel.

Do the rest of us a favor and distibute it freely I dont think many others will take the effort into creating a skin for Webtv.

Best of Luck with it.

3. cierrahost

cierrahost Member

Yeah its still around as MSNTV now. They still have a big customer base too. I myelf was on webtv for a few years before PC.

There is a big host for webtv only boxes and not to sound all messed up but i want a chunk of that action. So i got to thinking instead of creating a whole standalone system for my exsisting webtv clients and new ones. I would like to make it to where cpanel is compatible for them. I think the bluelagoon theme would be a great base for it ...as it is a very simple skin. But i dont know any thing about cpanel skins or the copyrights on such skins offered with cpanel.

4. cierrahost

cierrahost Member

Oh and making it available to everyone would be a must. I guess im still in the old mind frame share what you have. And others will share with you. Not out to make tons of money just make things more compatible for everyone.

5. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Bluelagoon was created by Darkorb, so I think you can modify it freely just like the xSkin themes.

6. revoshift

revoshift Well-Known Member

hmm, i aint got webtv but i could probably make a cpanel skin that works with it, (although i would prob have to leave out some of the complex stuff found in pc skins)

Jonathan

7. cierrahost

cierrahost Member

Jonathan,

I think the bells and whistles IE "complex" things is what webtv's are having a problem with.

To many graphics cause them to bog down too. I know their memory cache is not very big at all. Plus my users are griping about the file manager is in frames. I do not know the first steps about making the FM without frames.

Anyone that knows how to make skins could cut the graphics down and make the the resolution for horizontal 544 pixels. But the FM in frames is a whole nother story in itself.

I would love to see what you could come up with. I would be willing to pay but not that much as im just a small company at the time being lol.

8. Edizon

Edizon Well-Known Member

I have built a few sites for the use of WebTV along time ago when my friends all had webtv still. Like I have said Webtv supports IE 2.0 specs and thats about it. There are a few added features and tags you can add to make it more interactive. However, I simply do not recall any of them. There is still alot of information out there about build sites for WebTv out there.

When you speak of "Complex" features in most of the PC skins. You couldn't be more correct. Most of it has to do with Javascipt. I believe it uses Javascript 1.1. Just keep the HTML simply and clean cut, and avoid using complex stylesheets. Just as you already know.

To be prefectly honest I would not use any of the skins here as a base model. I would just build from scratch, that way it would be easuer to debug, and if there is a problem. you will more likely know the exact cause. I would use the API from the maybe the bluelagoon theme.

Good Luck!

9. cierrahost

cierrahost Member

yeah js is a big issue too. Webtv users have what they call a "javascript bug" which causes them to have to reload the page several times. I forgot all about that edison.

http://developer.msntv.com is what ive been studying. To get a idea on how to make things more compatible.

When i was on webtv years ago everything was simple .... <html> here <table> there lol. We didnt care how it looked to other users as long as it looked good on our webbie. Now im on the otherside of the ballpark and it isnt just slap a tag here and there.

Just hope jonathan can come up with something good or lead me in the right direction as i know nothing about skining cpanel.

10. MySundown

MySundown Well-Known Member

x and x2 work fine for me using the MSN TV Viewer. I use it to test all of my pages.

11. tAzMaNiAc

tAzMaNiAc Well-Known Member

Agreed. I can view those (x2, x, xmail) through my T-mobile Sidekick too! Even the WHM works too.

Brenden

12. cierrahost

cierrahost Member

MSNtv viewer is way different then actualy being on MSNTV.

The viewer is just to give you a "idea" of what the page looks like and how it runs in a MSNTV enviroment. It does not run like a MSNTV box .... it uses your computers tools and functions to run.

13. MySundown

MySundown Well-Known Member

I have my friend test it on her box too :) It's like 6 years old, so if that can handle it, just about every hardware/os/browser configuration can!