The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird '500 Internal Server Error'

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pafs99, Nov 4, 2011.

1. pafs99

pafs99 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello everybody! So, I have just migrated to different hosting company and transfered all the accounts using the 'Copy an account from another server' option, but I am getting this with my General account when I try to access the website:

500 Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
    Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@domain.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
    More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
    Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I have also checked the log file /var/log/messages and at the end of it was this:

Nov 4 21:50:33 server1 PAM-hulk[3311]: error logging into hulkd: 500 AUTH FAILED
    Nov 4 21:50:33 server1 PAM-hulk[3311]: error logging into hulkd: 500 AUTH FAILED

Where could the problem be? Could be it something with the Database and Mysql? I am experiencing Mysql problems with other accounts transferred the same way to the new server, but only with this account which is my General one, I'm experiencing the 500 Error.
    Any help would be much appreaciated! Many thanks!

2. LinuxTechie

LinuxTechie Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Can you please post the results of grep username /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log so that we can check what is causing the issue. It may be a simple permission issue !

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What PHP handler are you using? You can check in WHM > Apache Configuration > PHP and SuExec Configuration area.

If you are using suPHP, then it is possible the old machine had DSO (mod_php) and so you simply need to change file and folder permissions on the account. You would want all folders in /home/username/public_html to be no higher than 755 file permissions and all files in /home/username/public_html to be no higher than 644 file permissions.

The commands to change to have such permissions would be the following:

Code:
    find /home/username/public_html -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \; 
    find /home/username/public_html -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
    Please ensure to replace username with the username of the cPanel account.

4. pafs99

pafs99 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for your prompt replies guys! I have managed to fix this, the problem lied in the .htaccess file, simply commenting all the php_value strings fixed the issue! Thanks again!

5. LinuxTechie

LinuxTechie Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Okay. So your current PHP handler is SuPHP ad the previous one was DSO. Cheers !