The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird CPanel / WHM login problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BassmanOz, Dec 29, 2007.

1. BassmanOz

BassmanOz Registered

I'm having a weird issue on my home computer: the login box for CPanel or WHM doesn't appear when I enter the url in the browser. It just refreshes whatever page happens to be up at the time. I've tried it on several CPanel accounts and my WHM login page, with the same result. I've tried IE and Firefox, both with the same result. It works fine from my work computer.

For instance, if i'm on www.mysite.com and enter www.mysite.com/cpanel or www.mysite.com:2082, it just refreshes www.mysite.com and no login box appears.

Anybody ever have this problem??

2. DigitalN

DigitalN Well-Known Member

Are ports 2082,2083,2086,2087,2095,2096 allowed via your router?

Can you telnet to your ip 2082 for instance?

3. wzd

wzd Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This sounds like a local issue (Your router / PC setup) especially if you can log in fine through other computers...

I'd follow the following checklist to see what the problem might be:

1) Do you get a ping reply from the server when you ping it from your home machine - If not your IP at home (is it static?) may be blocked in the firewall.

2) Do you have any problems SSH'ing into the server from home?

3) Try setting your home PC to a static IP address and enable DMZ on that IP in the router

4) If all else fails i suggest resetting whatever router you have to factory settings, inputting basic login information and testing it again. If it works then its your settings somewhere, slowly add in your settings one by one.

Heck even try restarting cpanel /etc/init.d/cpanel restart and see if that helps ;)

I had a very weird problem myself a few weeks ago. Web sites from two of our servers were EXCRUICIATINGLY slow from any PC at my home/hotoffice. We tried different routers, different internet accounts everything and the websites were still very slow to load (Cpanel and WHM was fine)

However the websites were normal from any other connection. Even tested it from a 3G connection and they were fine. I really have no explanation why this happened but a week ago it sorted itself out... :)

4. BassmanOz

BassmanOz Registered

Thanks guys. I solved the problem, and I thought i'd better post the answer in case someone else had the same issue.

I tried the same from a different comp on my home network, and logged on no problem. So it was definitely a problem with one comp. I started having an apparently unrelated problem with the Azureus bit torrent program, and managed to narrow that down to a Winsock error. I downloded and ran WinsockXPFix, and it fixed Azureus... and also my logon problem with CPanel/WHM.

Go figure.