Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

weird DNS problems

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by rrwh, Jul 19, 2005.

1. rrwh

rrwh Well-Known Member

I am having a weird problem when I create new accounts.

What is happening is that the accounts create all fine except that the DNS zone files are written to /var/named/doman.db, but DNS is running chrooted in /var/named/chroot and expecting to see the zonefiles in /var/named/chroot/var/named/

All accounts I created up until a week ago were all correct, creating the zone file in /var/named/chroot/var/named, and creating a symlink in /var/named pointing to the domain.

I had a problem with squirrelmail not working, and had to do an EDGE build to get it to work, and then of course, changed back to a STABLE build.

running WHM 10.1.0 cPanel 10.2.0-S83 on CentOS 3.4 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

What I am looking for is to identify the scripts that create the zone files so I can see if they are corrupt or missing (as a result of my fix of the squirrelmail problems).

As you can imagine, this is a problem, as if a customer adds a sub-domain or a new parked domain, then it requires manual intervention on the server before it will work.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I'd suggest simply disabling the chroot environment as the usual remedy for the problem. IIRC I saw an enhancement in the EDGE changelog that mentioned support for chroot named.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rrwh

rrwh Well-Known Member

That would explain it - when I ran EDGE to fix the squirrelmail problem, it also set up a chroot environment -and when I reverted to stable, squirrelmail problem was fixed but other problems were created.

I guess that means either I run EDGE or remove the chroot environment -