The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird domain glitch in cPanel/WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MattAlan, Aug 24, 2012.

1. MattAlan

MattAlan Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So I have a somewhat weird glitch. Anytime I add any type of domain (either subdomain/parked/addon in a cPanel account or a new account from WHM) it will give me the default web site page (cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi) for the first visit. After that, it will load to the correct directory. I thought maybe it was a glitch with apache and it was taking time to restart, but it doesn't matter - 2secs of 5 minutes. It'll be the same thing. Infact, I can visit it the first time in firefox and get the "default website page" then load it less then a second later in Chrome and it will be working correctly.

Anyway to fix this? It's annoying to need to clear history or use a different browser everytime a domain is added.

Information:
    VPS Type: OpenVZ
    cPanel/WHM Version: 11.32.3 (build 23) (VPS Optimized)

Also, some back story:
    I just recently got this VPS server w/ WHM/cPanel. Before I had 2 shared hosting accounts and had a domain on both accounts (simply edit hosts file to point to the other server) for developing purposes. When I transferred both, I forgot to remove it from the 2nd account and this caused a glitch which the server sending http requests to account 1, but routing all mail (SMTP, IMAP, etc.) to account 2. I was able to manually edit the files and fix this (i removed some entries in httpd.conf that I found online) and that was fixed. cPanel's DNS server also confused the DNS zone's ownership but I managed to fix this aswell. Not sure if maybe this "fix" caused it or what.

#1 MattAlan, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  2. MattAlan

MattAlan Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hmm.

I did a full restart of the server and the problem went away? I had tried restarting apache before but it didn't help anything.

Oh well, atleast it's fixed.

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Were you visiting these domains prior to checking them? I could see how caching could occur if that were the case, but if you hadn't ever visited them previously, caching shouldn't have happened.

4. MattAlan

MattAlan Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Tristan,

After I made my second post above the problem did come back for a short period. It ended up being a couple problems with the httpd.conf file for apache. For whatever reason I had two VirtualHost closing tags (</VirtualHost>) in it that did not have matching opening tags. Not sure how they got there, but after removing those by manually editing httpd.conf the problem went away and has not been back. My guess is this was breaking the Apache mapping instead of going to the correct directory it was going to the default page, but somehow after visiting (or perhaps it was timed base, etc.) it would map correctly.

Either way it's solved and I thought it would be best to post how I fixed it in case someone else has the problem.

Thanks for your reply.

#4 MattAlan, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012