Weird E-mail Issue where internal mail using domainname will not send mail externally to domain with same domainanme

slimpixel

Registered
Dec 28, 2019
Ohio
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Our hosting server send's all mail using the dns name cpanel.example.com

All e-mails sent to anyone @example.com are handled thru gsuites however all other mail is recieved and sent from the cpanel server itself aka cpanel.example.com

The problem is if anyone sends an email from cpanel.example.com to any address @example.com the server routes it internally thinking that the mailboxes are locally on the server.

For the life of me I cannot figure out what is going on.

Please help.... Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! If your email should all be external for the domain you'll just need to tell cPanel this. You can do that from the cPanel >> Email Routing interface. Just choose the domain from the dropdown list and make sure it is set to the "Remote Mail Exchanger" option. Can you try that and let us know if that improves the behavior?

swbrains

Sep 13, 2006
Hey there! If your email should all be external for the domain you'll just need to tell cPanel this. You can do that from the cPanel >> Email Routing interface. Just choose the domain from the dropdown list and make sure it is set to the "Remote Mail Exchanger" option. Can you try that and let us know if that improves the behavior?
I have a similar situation where a customer has the hosted domain's nameservers pointing to the registrar (not our server) and they will set up their own MX records there to use external mail servers for their domain. But what should my server's local DNS copy of the MX records look like in this situation? Do they need to point to the external mail server(s) or is cPanel going to figure that out by looking up the nameservers at the registrar and using the MX records there to determine where to send email for this domain?