The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird e-mail stuff!

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by rjerina, Mar 4, 2004.

1. rjerina

rjerina Active Member

On the main account we use for hosting our company web site, I am having a weird problem.

I kept getting quota full e-mails to one of my e-mail accounts, so I checked it out. The account quota is 512mb, and 512mb is being used. I went in to see what was taking up so much space.

I found /home/uvh/mail/inbox to be 485mb! Weird thing is, I check all the e-mail accounts (even deadmail), and all have no e-mail, and have 10mb quotas.

I've never seen anything like this before, so I have no clue what to do. I dont know if it was some weird mail loop that filled it up, or what. Any help is appreciated!

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Do you have the Default option set to the account name? When you create an account in cPanel, it automatically sets the Default (catchall) alias to the account name (uvh in your case).

If you don't want the catchall, login to cPanel and go into Default Address and set it to :blackhole:

3. anand

anand Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Better as well use :fail:, it saves you the bandwidth of first accepting the mail and then disgarding it.

4. anand

anand Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Try to read some mails from inside it and see if it was a mail loop or actual mail, something like that.

5. rjerina

rjerina Active Member

I read a couple of the top emails, it's mostly emails from cronjobs and stuff (like from /scripts/upcp, which is set to manual, so i dont know why cron is emailing me about it...)

6. anand

anand Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    There you go ;-)

If you don't wanna recieve any cron job mails (but its good to be informed), just add this to the cronjob in the end > /dev/null 2<&1 . This will redirect the output to null.

You can edit cron in shell by using crontab -e .