The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird issue of "Cannot determine nameserver ip for <domain>" in CPanel - Please read

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Sovjohn, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Sovjohn

Sovjohn Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello there,

I have been facing this particularly strange problem and bugged my server company (EV1Servers) techsupport about this with mixed results.

Whenever I tried to add an addon domain in CPanel, it just wouldnt let me.

My domains were two: www.betstars.gr and www.hmmy.gr . I wanted to add them to the account I had in CPanel for a partner, his site named foreverliving.gr .

Please take notice that in the last server I was using (and transferred the accounts from) the domains / addon were setup successfully and with no glitches - The addon domain records for this account ceased to exist when I transferred the account files from the old server to the new one.

I could not complete the request as I was getting the message: "Cannot determine nameserver ip for <domain>" after I was clicking "Addon this domain" with the settings.

However, if you take a look at the domain in question, the following happens:

https://grweb.ics.forth.gr/Whois?lang=en

...They appear to be normally resolving to my nameservers, being ns1.ragegamers.com and ns2.ragegamers.com !

However, even though I setup DNS zones for them before they were added, the Cpanel software would keep showing me this error - Even though the domain, if typed in a browser, would get me to my server, just not to the correct location but to the "There is nothing in here" CPanel page .

I got my techsupport to add betstars.gr which now resolves they way it should, but apparently hmmy.gr does not want to be added under any conditions whatsoever.

The techsupport thinks they got lucky with betstars.gr, and are unable to tell me why the other domain wont add itself.

I tried to erase the DNS zone for the domain from WHM, restart BIND, retry the process - Nothing.

My technician then told me something about the CPanel using the publically available WHOIS servers to lookup domains - Something quite feasible- and warned me that because most .GR domains DO NOT appear on the whois.ripe.net server, if the CPanel was using this server to WHOIS the domains, it would keep them failing. He also suggested to replace the default WHOIS server if possible, and you can read the rest in the attached .txt file.

Does anyone have any experience with such issues in CPanel? Its very weird considering my outdated CPanel release (early 9 on RH 7.2) in the old server NEVER appeared such problems when the domains did actually resolve to the nameservers!

Hoping for a reply,

Sovjohn

2. sleuth1

sleuth1 Well-Known Member

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=hmmy.gr says the domain is ok apart from mail, I would say it is on the configuration side , the problem, not the whois look up , i would first go in to (whm) DNS and remove the parked (pointed) domain ( unpark) if it is listed as parked , then go in to DNS (whm) remove zone , dont type it in on the left form, but find it in the right list and remove it . To test it then create a full account it should resolve in a few minutes ( because the nameservers are pointint to the right ip for some time aka resolved already ) Then you at least know it is working , if no resolution , then it may well be the domain itself and a look up problem

3. concreteman

concreteman Well-Known Member

same problem here, can use WHM to park domains, no problem, can't use cpanel to park the same domains.

4. yuga

yuga Active Member

I had the same problem with a ccTLD (.com.ph) last weekend. I had a main domain account domain.com.ph and 4 add-on accounts. They would send out errors that the nameserver IPs cannot be determined.

However, if I create each one of them as a normal account, they would all resolve and work just fine. Could this be a cPanel bug really?

5. JonTrainer

JonTrainer Registered

I'm now seeing this same problem with trying to park a domain.