The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird Mail Issue

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Daemon1, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Daemon1

Daemon1 Well-Known Member

I have a really weird problem with a single domain's mail server not working at all... Every other domain's mail account on the same server is working fine, and the effected domain itself is working fine however outlook is telling me that the mail server for the particular domain is dead.

The host 'mail.mydomain.com' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'mail.mydomain.com', Server: 'mail.mydomain.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11004, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

Now what would cause a single domain's mail server to not work correctly, the domain loads fine and every other domain on the same server has working mail. I am really confused as to how this problem would come about, if anyone can provide any feedback on this issue it would be greatly appreciated. No configuration of the mail account has been altered, it was working then just stopped working. Any ideas anyone?

2. nickn

nickn Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

That error typically means that Outlook can not find the server. If you go to start -> run -> type "cmd" -> type "telnet domain.com 110" what happens?

Also, for the server hostname/IP, you can try to use the main domain/IP instead of the domain you're using.

To confirm the obvious, you aren't running any firewalls, correct?

3. Daemon1

Daemon1 Well-Known Member

"telnet domain.com 110" brings me to a screen which says +OK Hello there.

There is no firewall, this problem is very weird! I now have 2 domains on the server which is doing this now, it was only 1 before but the rest are fine! All domains which mail doesnt work are all online and working so I am really stumped!

4. nickn

nickn Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

What happens if you try to use the main server IP to do POP3?

5. @home

@home Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Instead of 'mail.mydomain.com' use 'mydomain.com' in outlook.