The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

weird problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AlaskanWolf, Jan 18, 2002.

1. AlaskanWolf

AlaskanWolf Well-Known Member

got my server at the datacenter today and activated cpanel on it, twice today it stopped responding, resulting in reboots

i find this in the logs a few minutes before the server stops responding

Jan 18 16:53:17 greyfox proftpd[831]: greyfox.thehideout.net - received SIGHUP -- master server rehashing configuration file.
    Jan 18 16:57:57 greyfox proftpd[5907]: greyfox.thehideout.net (localhost[127.0.0.1]) - FTP login timed out, disconnected.
    Jan 18 17:06:17 greyfox proftpd[6047]: greyfox.thehideout.net (localhost[127.0.0.1]) - FTP login timed out, disconnected.

(why is localhost trying to connect anyway?)

I found this which is *identical* to what i am seeing, everything just stops responding, but no clue on whats really causing it, if its hardware or it is software

http://www.proftpd.org/proftpd-devel-archive/full/msg00285.html

I ran the server (without cpanel installed) for a full day, putting various httpd loads on it, and it didnt even hiccup, looking at the messages, this morning, it didnt have the error with proftpd, just stopped

I guess I will wait for the next outage to see what happens

2. AlaskanWolf

AlaskanWolf Well-Known Member

also getting

Jan 18 17:43:02 greyfox proftpd[2159]: greyfox.thehideout.net - Failed binding to 0.0.0.0, port 21: Address already in use
    Jan 18 17:43:02 greyfox proftpd[2159]: greyfox.thehideout.net - Check the ServerType directive to ensure you are configured correctly.

Would these have anything to do with suexec?