The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird read-only errors on all drives

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crwilliams, Jan 22, 2008.

1. crwilliams

crwilliams Well-Known Member

I may have one drive about to fail, as I saw some uncorrectable sectors errors in /var/log/messages-- for just that drive, the one I'd used for the actual sites. I checked the messages when a user said she was seeing read-only file system errors when she tried to upload content.

I have two other drives on that one server, though, so I just shifted around some accounts to those drives, so they'd be safe and sound if that drive bites the dust. However, users still get those read-only file system errors when trying to use FTP, even though they're on other drives. They CAN, however, upload and edit content via their cPanels on those other two drives.

I did have the OS reloaded on one of the drives about 6 weeks ago (not the one with the uncorrectable sectors errors). It's possible some of the errors are due to my complete incompetence with mounting the drives.

Another weird thing is that the uncorrectable sectors errors occurred for about 10 hours in the log, with every 30 minute check, but then stopped.

Jan 21 15:36:47 cpanel smartd[2718]: Device: /dev/sdc, 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
    Jan 21 15:36:47 cpanel smartd[2718]: Device: /dev/sdc, 1 Offline uncorrectable sectors

The FTP error for all users, no matter their drive, is just the 550 Read-only file system.

A check of bad blocks turned up nothing. I'm kind of at a loss for what to look for next.

Oh, and I'm set for automatic stable with the updates, in case that matters.

Any suggestions?
    Thank you!!

2. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Either there are some bad sectors, or the drive isn't spinning up fast enough when the system starts. During this process, you may start losing random blocks of data. I am not sure if this will help, but read this article on howto deal with bad sectors: http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/BadBlockHowTo.txt

What kind of HDs are you using on this server, SATA or EIDE/IDE? IDE drives will remap bad sectors automatically, but it degrades performance and you are likely to loose data :eek: The best solution in your case is to get quality new HDs.

3. crwilliams

I still haven't resolved the issues with this server, but I have narrowed down the problem somewhat. I'm positive that only one of the three drives on the machine is in trouble, and the sites are functioning safely on the other two drives, with the exception of not having FTP functionality.

Actually, only old accounts have FTP read-only issues. New accounts have full FTP capability. So FTP is actually working, and these other two drives are not actually read-only, despite the FTP error message (and recall that on these other drives, uploading/editing works through the cpanels).

Somehow, something is reading the old sites as still being on the hosed read-only drive. I discovered this when I fixed some scripts that had old paths to home. After correcting the scripts to give the correct full path to home, they still gave open_basedir errors, and will only function if I turn off that protection for each of the sites that need it. Ouch!

When I tried to move one of the accounts to a completely new server, the user's FTP accounts listed the full path to home in the FTP account list-- and it was the old path on the old server, and so of course none of the user's FTP accounts could get logged in.

So as I said, something is still referencing the old paths to home after I've moved the accounts to a new drive and new home path. The userdata files are correct, and I've tried running the update user data script, but it pulls from the userdata file anyway-- or so I thought, so that didn't help.

Any ideas? If I can get the paths referenced correctly, I can worry about the third drive problems later. The third drive was a convenience anyway, and thankfully not a necessity.

4. crwilliams

All right, then. I found the FTP problem. When I did the rearrange to move the sites from the home directory on the bad drive to the other drives, the rearrange did not change the original path to home in the user files in /var/proftpd. I don't see a script for correcting that, so I'll be manually changing the path to home in a couple hundred accounts today. But at least I know, now.

Anyone have an idea where else some other files might be holding on the old paths to home? Until I figure out where else this wasn't changed, I have to leave the open_basedir turned off, and I don't want to do that longer than I have to. The files in userdata are fine, and httpd.conf is fine, and I'm not sure where else to look.

Thanks!