weired error !! Proftpd dosen't allow me to overwrite file !!!

atul

May 6, 2004
Hello All.
I have RH 9 server with whm 9.4 installed and proftpd as ftp daemon.Recently one of my client complained that he can't edit the files in his account.
What he was doing is download the file ,make changes then upload and then he got error
550 :/ Overwrite permission denied
I have checked the permisions of files in his folder .They are 755,with owner and group etc correct .
I even checked the permissions of public_html folder it is 777.
Why it is not allowing the use to edit file even he has permissions to do so.
All other domain on server are n't having this problem ..but only this one is showing up problem.
One more interestiung thing is that I can edit the same file from cpanel file manager and save it successfully, but same process halts when I try it from ftp client software!!
Any hint?

chirpy

Verifed Vendor
Jun 15, 2002
Go on, have a guess
Make sure that your /etc/proftpd.conf file is intact. It should contain the directive:
Code:
<Directory />
  AllowOverwrite                on
</Directory>
You should also check the users file ownership and permissions via SSH to confirm they are correct.

sneader

Aug 21, 2003
La Crosse, WI
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I had this same problem today. I see the file date on proftpd.conf changed last night around 3AM, presumably during UPCP time... but I don't see that there is any change between the old conf and the new one. Same size, same data.

Anyway, a restart of ProFTPd service cured the problem!!!

- Scott

Pda0

Jun 13, 2003
Ive seen this happening on WHM 9.9.9 cPanel 9.9.9-R121

Fixed it by changing proftpd.conf, and adding manually:

<Directory ~/*>
AllowOverwrite on
</Directory>

Anyone else with this problem?

.pd

bijo

Aug 21, 2004
India
atul said:
Hello All.
I have RH 9 server with whm 9.4 installed and proftpd as ftp daemon.Recently one of my client complained that he can't edit the files in his account.
What he was doing is download the file ,make changes then upload and then he got error
550 :/ Overwrite permission denied
I have checked the permisions of files in his folder .They are 755,with owner and group etc correct .
I even checked the permissions of public_html folder it is 777.
Why it is not allowing the use to edit file even he has permissions to do so.
All other domain on server are n't having this problem ..but only this one is showing up problem.
One more interestiung thing is that I can edit the same file from cpanel file manager and save it successfully, but same process halts when I try it from ftp client software!!
Any hint?
Hello,

Did you check the chattr of the file?. If no, Run this command lsattr, May be It will help to solve your problem.