The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Welcome page.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by big_bull, Apr 4, 2007.

1. big_bull

big_bull Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

How can I create a welcome page for clients i.e. when I create (new) account in WHM and they haven't uploaded anything if they access their site by domain name or server IP/~username they should see .............

"YOUR ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SET UP !!!!!!!!!"

OR

"WELCOME TO ........."

somethig like that.

TIA........

2. Shinichi Kato

Shinichi Kato Well-Known Member

New Account Skeleton Directory

/root/cpanel3-skel

This directory is what will be used as a skeleton for new accounts. For example if you place an index.html file in /root/cpanel3-skel/public_html, and then setup a new account, that account will have a copy of your index.html in their public_html directory.

3. big_bull

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    OOm....aaa

Hi You are great..............

Thanks for the help.

:)

4. Host4u2

Host4u2 Well-Known Member

5. big_bull

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Shinichi and Host4u2(Richard)

Is it for root only, I mean can my reseller use this in his /home/username//cpanel3-skel/public_html

Actually he tried but no success.

Thanks.

6. cmstasarim

cmstasarim Member

Yes ,if you have ssh login you can do it. But if you dont have you can say your system admin. I think He/She will do it

7. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

The script works for root and resellers, but root has to install it. Once installed, it won't do anything until there are template files for it to customize.

Any trouble with it, just PM me.

8. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's also a smart move to have the welcome page file be an index.php which includes the real file from another place. The reason for that is that it allows you to change it in one place when you need to rather than having to edit 500 sites!! :)

Another smart thing you can do is give the file a .phtml extension then it is automatically overridden by a real index.html or index.php when the customer uploads it. If you use an index.php the customer needs to remember to remove the index.php and it can create support calls. I can't remember whether .phtml was a default or whether I needed to fiddle with the httpd.conf - it was at least partially implemented.

9. JamesCTotalWeb

JamesCTotalWeb Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok I have been going nuts trying to get this script to work since the cPanel 11 update ....... it just does not work anymore.

The call to postwwacct is not in the wwacct file any longer? if (-e "/scripts/postwwwacct")

anyways if anyone has this working these days I would really like to know how it was done .... thank you,

10. pilartorres

pilartorres Registered
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The only down side to this is that you will get many support calls asking you why they cannot see their published page and they still see the company placeholder.
    New users will not know that they have to remove that index page.

11. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Not true, although it may seem that way; the call is there the same as it always has been. However, the arguments have changed rather radically, and if you want to have the script called with the same old arguments you need to use legacywwacct. This is documented in a forum thread here and in the cpanel doc here.

There are a number of ways to get around the "user confusion" issue here. One is to use an extension for the default page which has a lower priority than .php, .htm and .html so that if they put a file in place it will overrider your placeholder page. Another is to use a .php file and have it check for and include any index.htm or index.html files in the directory if it can find them, otherwise it outputs the placeholder page. You could also put a link on there saying "click to find out how this page works" or something like that. I used an approach like the .php one above, and then switched to the lower priority technique and it works flawlessly, never have a complaint.

12. Host4u2

Host4u2 Well-Known Member

There are ways to handle this. Either simply add instruction to the index.html to replace the placeholder (index.html) with their own... or, use a 'default.html' from your skel directory instead. An index.html added by the client will automatically take preference over the default.html :)