Welcomelist vs. Whitelist

lowraxe

Aug 22, 2022
Atlanta, GA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I was looking through headers for my emails for a separate reason and saw that my spam assassin analysis comes up with a message that USER_IN_WHITELIST is deprecated and that I should now use USER_IN_WELCOMELIST. I did a bit of research on the topic and found that the change was made a few years ago, but in the actual cPanel interface, it doesn't appear there's any way to explicitly use WELCOMELIST instead of WHITELIST.

When searching this forum for "welcomelist", there are no results at all. Is this a non-issue and I should just continue using WHITELIST as I have been doing?

Thanks!

jeff-net

Registered
Aug 14, 2019
Dallas, TX
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey folks.

I got (finally noticed?) the following today:

-0.0 USER_IN_WELCOMELIST User is listed in 'welcomelist_from'
-100 USER_IN_WHITELIST DEPRECATED: See USER_IN_WELCOMELIST

After reading this thread, I edited the user_prefs file and replaced (all) the various keywords. I maintain this file manually, because it's quite large (we whitelist all of our customers for example). Anyway, when I go into CPanel, "whitelist" and "blacklist" are still being used in interface. And if I go to use either the black or white interface, nothing from the file loads. CPanel interface seems to be out-of-sync with this change.

Am I missing something?

jeff-net

Registered
Aug 14, 2019
Dallas, TX
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@jeff-net - did you see my earlier replies to this thread? There won't be any changes needed until version 4 is released.
I saw "So for now, you can keep on using the traditional WHITELIST entries.", but that's not the case. My WHITELIST settings failed today. That's why I showed the header messages in my post. I'm sorry I wasn't clearer. My WHITELIST settings are being ignored and it's causing "good" mail to go to SPAM. Those header messages/scores are from the mail that was in SPAM which should have arrived safely.