The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What all to enable in "Addon Scripts"?

Discussion in 'Security' started by furquan, May 3, 2010.

1. furquan

furquan Well-Known Member

Hello All :

I was wondering which of the softwares listed in "Addon Scripts" are safe enough to enable for the users to use. Or is it wise to leave every thing disabled ?

Please suggest.

2. anton_latvia

anton_latvia Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well, you can't answer this question with 100% confidence. Safe computer is the one, which is turned off and power plug is unplugged from the socket. :rolleyes:

It all depends on many factors. I would say most important is how your PHP is configured, do you allow to execute system/shell commands, do you use DSO or suPHP, what is your attitude against safe_mode and other security options. Also your customers should know how to configure some of those applications ( i mean internal functions, e.g. anti-spam things). Those applications are just PHP scripts, probably one of the popular ones or simpliest. That might help your customers at start, especially those with basic knowledge. We do allow several, like wordpress, phpBB3, coppermine, advanced guestbook.

Remember, you of course can run into troubles, but this can happen with any script.

Anton.

3. furquan

furquan Well-Known Member

Yes i do agree to this, but since i have almost all of them disabled, i thought to take an opinion from the board, as to what all is generally enabled by every one.

Thank you very much for your input.