The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what am i doing wrong???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by everttt, Jul 28, 2005.

1. everttt

everttt Registered

hello,

here another noob with dito question.... :(

i cant seem to get my webpage working, i have some troubles with the index files i guess...
    when i want to get my page online, i read in FAQ's, and this forum, i should upload the first page of my site index.html to the directory www or public_html.

when i do this, i still get the page where it says that no webpage is configured, howcome? it shouldn't be so hard, should it? i just want that when i type www.mydomain.nl that the index page arises...
    i've noticed one strange thing, when i upload my index.html file it changes automatically to index.htm (strange?)
    also, when i upload another file, for example the.html to my www or public_html directory, and next typ in my browser www.mydomain.nl/the i get an 'not found' error

hope you can help me with

2. kaosent

kaosent Active Member

Which public_html directory are you uploading to?
    That default page you are seeing is what your current hostname should resolve to, and (for me) it is located in /usr/local/apache/htdocs /index.htm (may be different on yours). For example, assume my server was cp.domain.au , when I type cp.domain.au or www.domain.au or even domain.au (there is an A record for my domain which points to same location), I get the 'page not configured' page. For other domains, like those configured in accounts, they are set in httpd.conf to have a document root of /home/username/public_html.

That's why I am wondering which directory you are actually uploading to, and is that domain.nl you refer to part of your server's host name? PM me and I can easily walk you through the setup. Good luck.

3. everttt

everttt Registered

euhm,

i don't really understand what you are saying....

what i do is the following, i go to my cpanel index, go to file manager

there i see my webspace? and put my index files in the public_html folder
    or the www folder, or above the folders....
    (i don't understand the buisines with apache also, do i need to install apache?? or is this a realy stupid question?)

thanks for you quick reply

Evert

4. kaosent

kaosent Active Member

I apologize for not being clear enough, but it would be much easier to do this via email than cluttering up the forum with it.

The questions that I will ask you (if you choose to email or pm me), are:
    Do you own the server, and did you set it up, or do you just have an account on someone elses server?
    What is the server's host name?
    Is it different than the domain name you are trying to setup index.html for?

It will be very simple to fix this issue, just pm or email me.