Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

What can I safely delete from /usr?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Senor, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Senor

Senor Member

I got an email warning that my /usr directory was getting pretty close to full and I want to delete some files.

What is safe to delete from that directory to free up some space?

Thanks,
    Jay

2. Senor

Senor Member

*tap, tap*

This thing on?

3. rone

rone Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This forum is not a official support forum from cPanel !! You could read that when you registered for this forum.

So....just wait till someone can or will give a answer on your question and be polite and don't use words like tap tap.

If you don't know the basics of linux and cpanel/whm just think again if it is smart enough to run your own server.

4. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Empty the content of log files.

HowTo clone, image, and re-size your Hard Drive(s) and/or partition(s): http://servertune.com/kbase/entry/340/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Senor

Senor Member

1) I was waiting for someone to give me an answer. It's why I bumped my thread.

2) Please do not call me impolite if you don't get the joke about me tapping on a microphone as a polite way to bump my thread.

3) If I knew all the intricacies about running my own server, I wouldn't need cPanel, now would I? :)

4) It was a cPanel question that I thought I could get an answer to on the *gasp* cPanel forums. If I was incorrect, I apologize.

5) If you have nothing constructive to post in my thread, kindly remove yourself from it. I am looking for an answer to my question; not some smarmy child who think it's his place to police the forums.

6. Senor

Senor Member

I'm sorry, I don't follow. I didn't find anything pertaining to my question in your link. Could you please elaborate?

7. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

/usr partition holds Apache files, including log files. Inspect apache log files.

cd /usr/local/apache/

Then run this command to list files in that directory and their sizes:

du -sh *

You might find that the logs/error_log or logs/access_log is very large. You can delete these two log files. Other possible solutions:
    1. See if there are any 'core.*' files to delete.

2. Re-seize /usr partition. Follow the link posted in my previous response. If you are not comfortable with Linux, ask your host. Hope this helps!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Senor

Senor Member

Oh, haha, I misunderstood the point of your link.

Thanks a ton for the suggestions. I will try them.