The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I need to learn for a VPS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Amirsan, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Amirsan

Amirsan Registered

I plan on purchasing a VPS server from www.servint.com using cpanel/whm... is there anything specific I should know immediately before buying the package?

There is no option of delaying my purchase which will probably be tommorrow, and I have no experience with VPS, only shared.

I was told that since I have root access I will have more abilities in cpanel and I will need to know how to use them...

can someone help?

2. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The learning curve will be steep but ServInt is one of the best at helping new users. The NOC at ServInt can be one of your best resources when starting out.

When you have signed up and have access to their forum you will find a number of helpful posts about cPanel/WHM.

This site has some good tutorials that will help getting you setup.
    http://www.webhostgear.com/cid_4.html

Likely you will also get other suggestions from forum members here.

#2 sawbuck, Feb 10, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  3. pshepperd

pshepperd Well-Known Member

Certain virtual software uses a proprietary kernel, and you cannot load kernel modules, took me several days to learn that.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You should treat a VPS as if it were a dedicated server - you will need to leanr how to configure, maintain and secure the server. There are a number of tutorials, as sawbuck pointed out, and numerous threads in these forums about securing a server. Or you can hire someone to help you with those tasks. Server management is quite a lot more than the cPanel and WHM menus that you may be used to.