The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does CPanel use ports instead of virtual directories

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jsteel, Aug 16, 2002.

1. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

Anyone know why CPanel uses non-standard ports instead of just globally accessible virtual directories? I had a customer ask why on earth the Control Panel would be on a non-standard port such that the login couldn't be encrypted using SSL. That's a good question - anyone know why?

Seems silly that with sooo much control over your domain through the CPanel interface that login info has to be sent clear text - same goes for webmail as well.

Things that make you go hmmmm...

2. ecoutez

ecoutez Well-Known Member

Hrmm...

Well, for one thing, you can still use the web interface when Apache is down. This is probably quite a big advantage for admins who aren't yet that comfortable in the shell.

And you can encrypt your password - check out the /securecontrolpanel/ and /securewhm/ redirects - they forward to secure ports. Or just try these...
    Secure CP: https://yourserver.com:2083/
    Secure WHM: https://yourserver.com:2087/
    Secure WebMail: https://yourserver.com:2096/

- Jason

3. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

Thanks!

Apparently I missed the part about the secure ports. This will do just fine!

4. unite the cows

unite the cows Active Member

anyone notice a lot of lag when logging in using the secure ports? It seems like more lag than when I log into other sites using secure modes. I dont understand what could be causing it. Anyone have a clue?

5. cass

cass Well-Known Member

secure mode is always slower ... as it's not cached ...
    so, every image, every byte comes directly from the server ... (no IE cache, etc.)
    this is one reason for what ssl mode is slower ... maybe there's anotherone too :)

Regards.

6. awsol

awsol cPanel Test Bitch

Cpanel uses ports cause it is a webserver. If it uses default port 80 it wouldn't work due to apache being bound to that port. Nick used ports that are majority of the time open on a firewall and not used by anything else.