The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what does this mean? help pls!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pacificw, Sep 25, 2007.

1. pacificw

pacificw Well-Known Member

can someone tell me what this means please.

Code:
    [rayne@spryngnet]# nslookup 208.53.xxx.93
    ;; Got SERVFAIL reply from 208.53.xxx.90, trying next server
    ;; Got SERVFAIL reply from 208.53.xxx.93, trying next server
    Server:         66.90.68.16
    Address:       66.90.68.16#53

** server can't find 93.xxx.53.208.in-addr.arpa: SERVFAIL

the IPs listed on the servfail were assigned to me by my NOC.
    does this mean that they aren't resolving from my server? if
    so, how do I fix this issue. I'm at a loss here, any help would
    be appreciated.

thanks

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Yes that is what it means. You have 208.53.xxx.90 and 208.53.xxx.93 in /etc/resolv.conf. When you do an 'nslookup 208.53.xxx.93' it queries both of the servers listed in /etc/resolv.conf. And none of them report that there is a rDNS (reverse DNS) entry in place for 208.53.xxx.93.

It may be that there truly isn't any reverse DNS in place for 208.53.xxx.93 - in which case you should assign a hostname to each IP address that you have for your hosting, make sure there are corresponding A records in the domain zonefiles for each of those hostnames, and then ask your NOC to assign similar reverse DNS based upon what you want.

For instance, I have a VPS running Cpanel (just for a hobby) - my host provided me with three IP addresses - the main IP address of the adapter and two IP addresses to use as nameserver IP addresses.

I assign:

ns1.mydomain.com to 111.111.111.1
    ns2.mydomain.com to 111.111.111.2
    server.mydomain.com to 111.111.111.3

In my mydomain.com zonefile I make sure that I have "A" records for the above three hostnames assigning them the IPs listed. Then I contact my NOC and ask them to add rDNS entries to assign those hostnames to the IP addresses so that when I do an 'nslookup 111.111.111.3' I get 'server.mydomain.com' as the result.

Mike

#2 mtindor, Sep 25, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  3. pacificw

pacificw Well-Known Member

thanks mike,

exactly what I thought. I've had nothing but issues with my data center ppl. last week I had a simular issue with my ips not resolving. took me several hours to get them to admit they removed the ips they assigned to me. once that was fixed, gee low and behold my sites came back up. well now they are down once again because the ips I have for my NS1 & NS2 aren't resolving now. *sigh*

they're claiming it's a software configuration error on my part. not! since everything was running just fine. I have updates set to manual and about 8hrs ago, I started getting SMS's telling me my ports couldnt' be connected to.. so I came in to check and sure enough, main server's IP is up, but none of the rest of my ips are resolving.

thanks again, guess it's time to start crackin' some whips. :mad::cool::D