The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if TTL = 1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kiran, Apr 26, 2004.

1. kiran

kiran Member

Hi all,

Can anyne tell me what happens if i set the "TTL = 1" to the DNS values like "A" & "MX".

What are the Advantages & disadvantages?

Actually i wanted to pointout the MX Record to 2 alternative servers frequently, If a TTL value is more I've to wait for a long time to changes take effect, If i set the TTL = 1 will the problem will solve?

Thanks,
    Kiran

2. mr.wonderful

mr.wonderful BANNED

Nice language. Classless and completely tastless!

#2 mr.wonderful, Apr 26, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2004
  3. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

Go to this url [b]http://www.dnsreport.com/[/b] and enter your domain name and check out the report. The report points out any DNS errors and usually advises some changes you can make to things like TTL to give better performance.
    There is another link off the above site to more DNS tools here: [b]http://www.dnsstuff.com/[/b]
    HTH

#3 Izzee, Apr 27, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2004
  4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

There are several issues with setting a low TTL:

1. Many ISPs will simply ignore it. The common standard is 24 hours (86400) and many large organisations will simply ignore your TTL and cache your DNS records if they are set lower than 24 hours.

This is why you should always count on a minimum of 24 to 72 hours for DNS resolution to propogate.

Heck, some countries on very slow pipes used to cache for 7 days regardless of TTLs.

2. It could both performance headaches and highe bandwidth for your DNS servers.

3. It could very slow browsing of any website running on a domain with a low TTL. If you have it set to 1, you're effectively turning it off, which means for every page, for every image on every page the users browser has to do a DNS lookup all the way to the primary DNS. This could make your site completely unviewable, especially for people on slow internet connections.

So, if you need to change a DNS record quickly for the majority of people, I'd suggest setting the TTL to 1 hour (3600) and wait 24 hours. After that, switch the domain to the new IP and restore the TTL to 86400 at the same time.