The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is AutoSSL SSL's passphrase and AutoSSL SSL's limit ?

Discussion in 'Security' started by Konstantinos Chatzopoulos, Jan 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Konstantinos Chatzopoulos

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    AutoSSL is a great feature but to have a panel where you can specify in what specific domains (not accounts) the AutoSSL is active would be great too (not prevent specific domains from AutoSSL but make AutoSSL work only in specified domains) . As it is now we have issued hundreds of SSL's in subdomains that are only for alpha / beta tests that is a huge waste of recourses , more over and this more important WE CAN'T FIGURE OUT the limits of AutoSSL SSL's that we have in our disposal (I have asked again how we can figure out those limits but I haven't got any answer).

I am writing this because there is one more serious issue with AutoSSL , we need the passphrase for those SSL certificates. We need it for various reasons but more important because we need to create web socket services in some of those , to manage it you MUST have the passphrase. So please provide us the passphrase or give us a way to find it out.

Thank you

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I encourage you to vote and add feedback to the following feature request:

AutoSSL: Prevent specific domains from being issued free SSL certificates

You could add a comment regarding your preference to make it opt-in for select domain names.

We document the domain and rate limits at:

Manage AutoSSL - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Are you looking for a way to determine how many subdomains/addon domains are added to an account?

The certificate keys generated with the AutoSSL feature shouldn't utilize a passphrase. You could use the instructions from the following Comodo URL if you wanted to add a passphrase to a key:

What is a passphrase and how can i change the passphrase on my private key file?

Let us know if that helps.

Thank you.

3. Konstantinos Chatzopoulos

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello cPanelMichael and thank you for your reply

Just let me verify if I have understood that correctly. In the documentation that you provided it says:

Each AutoSSL provider may have a specific domain rate limit. For example:
    • Certificates that cPanel, Inc. provides through AutoSSL can secure a maximum of 200 domains per website (Apache virtual host).
    • Certificates that Let's Encrypt™ provides can secure a maximum of 100 domains per website.
    We have WHM and few cpanel accounts . Does the limit for each cpanel account is 200 domains for (auto SSL) ? Is there any limit for all accounts together ?
    How do we figure out the limits?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The referenced limits are imposed upon each Virtual Host, and are not global limits on the server. The following document helps to explain how the server sees domain names and virtual hosts:

How Your Server Handles Domains and Virtual Hosts - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

You can access an individual account's cPanel to review the number of subdomains and aliases added to an account.

Thank you.