The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is CPanel's idea of acceptable support times?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tripster, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Tripster

Tripster Active Member

I ask this question as I go into week 2 of problems on my server, my resellers cannot access WHM and end users cannot change their passwords in CPanel.

It's obviously an authentication issue. Nothing shows in the logs and when you do the steps to change passwords it says it is doing it but it is not taking hold. Resellers cannot access WHM, I cannot even access their WHMs when using root password.

My NOC is supposed to provide support, when an issue is beyond them they then submit a ticket to CPanel.

Do the CPanel authors do any hosting? If so, do your hosting clients accept extreme delays in even responding to a trouble ticket?

The problems I am having are major, the price CPanel asks for their system is high and yet the support offered for that price is almost non-existant. We're expected to seek forum support for a package costing at least $50/month or $1400 to buy outright?

I offer CPanel servers because it helps the end-users manage their sites easier, but if the thing doesn't work then I expect some support from the authors, not having to go to a user forum where threads end up lost in the rather large amount of noise from others with issues. I expect forum support from open source packages, I expect professional support from something I'm asked to pay monthly for.

It's time CPanel either slashes the license price or hires the staff to warrant the price being asked.

I doubt any webhost here treat their own clients like this, otherwise they'd likely have very few clients by now and wouldn't need Cpanel anyway.

2. LP-Trel

LP-Trel Well-Known Member

I've never had any software company have support like cPanel.

However, once an issue is assigned to Nick you just wait. He is the sole developer from what I understand and the only one that can fix most problems.

Good luck with your problem, I've had a ticket in since the 25th about stats not updating.. I'm still waiting. :(

3. Tripster

Tripster Active Member

And this may be the main issue, one developer. Why? At the price being asked for the system they certainly should be able to afford additional developers.

ModernBill has the same problem, one developer doing it all and he can't keep up with the bugs, so support ends up being non-existant from our vantage point. Same thing there too, you are expected to turn to user forums as primary support, unacceptable for commercial packages in my opinion.

4. MattDr2

MattDr2 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Some people work well alone. It would be extremely difficult to bring someone else in on the project now, I would assume. *cough* I don't see many comments in the script. ;)

Regards,
    Matt

5. LP-Trel

Well currently I have a ticket in that Michael seems to be sitting on for some reason.

No response for a few days and my server's CPUWATCH and Logrunner seem to core dump often enough..

Got to love cPanel support. :mad:

6. MPCN_Russ1

MPCN_Russ1 Member

I've also dealt with Michael... As well as Rich. I usually receive about a 2 minute wait after submitting a trouble ticket to cpanel... I'm _VERY_ pleased with the level of support I've received. Although I'm also sorry you haven't gotten the same :(

Thanks,
    Russ

7. LP-Trel

I may be wrong on the support here. I posted on the forum and bdraco (Nick) responded fairly quickly.

I really think the problem is just alot of overworked people.

I will give credit where credit is due though, there has never been a problem they didn't eventually solve. :)

8. kalnet4u

kalnet4u Member

Hi Guys

Are you saying that Cpanel is run by one person? Doesn't that worry you?

What would happen, god forbid, if something was to happen to him? Would we lose all support and eventually have to move over to another product?

I think CPanel is a very good product, however what is it's long term commitment? I mean long-term as in 5, 10, 15 years plus.

9. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

I think 10 years from now computers will be controlled by our thoughts and everything will be totally wireless. ;)

10. qbert1987

qbert1987 Well-Known Member

and maby, just maby my piddeful little server will get me a profit... even if it is just for the one month...

11. Tripster

Tripster Active Member

*bump*

Add another week onto the time resellers haven't had WHM access and end users can't change passwords in CPanel ...

Note the lack of actual CPanel personnel involved in helping too!

Heck just tell me where/how WHM looks up passwords and I can see if I can fix it myself.

12. MPCN_Russ1

MPCN_Russ1 Member

Tripster,

What version of Cpanel are you running?

EDIT:
    Also what theme are you running.

#12 MPCN_Russ1, Jan 21, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2004
  13. dandanfireman

dandanfireman Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Error messages? How far does it get?