The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is happening with Urchin support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tripster, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Tripster

Tripster Active Member

Basic question, is Urchin supported or not in CPanel, my reports are still showing blank, nothing, zero, zilch for traffic.

Problem is, if I turn Urchin into standalone mode CPanel has a nasty habit of shutting down the processes every time you run upcp .. so .. make up your mind, it's either supported or it isn't.

All I know is I'm tired of fielding the emails and calls for this thing when it just quits working due to CPanel and/or Urchin making changes.

2. Tripster

Tripster Active Member

*bump* I know I'm not the only one using Urchin .. or am I now? :)

3. bjcbjc

bjcbjc Registered

I imagine you are because on my boxes Urchin shows all zeros!

:D

4. Slav

Slav Well-Known Member

We put a new copy on this week and all we get is

Unable to access configuration or direct linking is off

Thats it. While an earlier one works fine on another server.

5. Tripster

Tripster Active Member

An update from me ...

The all zeroes thing is fixed on my servers by doing the following ..

chmod 644 *

in
    /usr/local/apache/domlogs/

Then /scripts/runstatsonce

You probably want to change the chmod setting in WHM's tweak settings for the Apache logs, it defaults to 0640, change to 0644 I guess if you don't want to change them back monthly manually.

Looks like Urchin runs under a different GID when it runs nightly, this is about the only reason I can see for it working after above changes.

Of course changing the permissions to above also allows anyone to read other domains logs, I get a feeling the problem arose when this 0640 was implemented.

6. mr.wonderful

mr.wonderful BANNED

I want to completely remove the LINK from all the displays, X X2, for Urchin because nobody uses it here. The problem is, you cannot remove the link because the FEATURE LIST(RC3) does not include the option to DISABLE the link to URCHIN.

Seems like they missed it. Please add it to the feature list. Cpanel has included everthing else, well almost, but they have not included this.

Not everyone wants their users to use Urchin! For those running their own copy of Urchin, not CPanels there is no way to disable Cpanels version.

Please add it to the feature list.

7. Tripster

Tripster Active Member

Actually if nobody is using Urchin on your server I think just removing /usr/local/urchin entirely should remove it from the menus.

You could always install to another directory I think as well if you want standalone, not sure but I do believe CPanel looks for /usr/local/urchin to exist and then integrates it into the menus.