The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is initiating smartctl?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by soundguy, Oct 5, 2010.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I recently had a problem with a RAID1 element as reported by smartctl (unreadable sectors on /dev/sdb). I did a fail, remove, add on the drive and it seemed to start syncing, but then failed again a few hours later. I swapped out the drive and tried again, with the same result.

The chassis has 4 hot-swap SATA bays, so on a hunch, I did a fail, remove on /dev/sdb and moved the new drive to bay 4, then added it to the array again as /dev/sdd. The resync worked correctly and everything is functioning normally again. The problem is apparently a bad bay, SATA cable, controller chip, or chip driver. (not the first time I've seen this on ASUS 1U entry-level servers)

There is one little fly in the ointment though. LogWatch is still reporting SMART errors on /dev/sdb, which is now an empty bay. I can only assume that it's also NOT checking the new location /dev/sdd.

My question is this: what process is starting smartctl on a daily (hourly?) schedule and where is the config file that tells smartctl to look at a particular set of drives? I guess I should know this, but somehow I'm drawing a blank.

2. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Never mind

Ok, it just occurred to me that smartctl runs as a daemon, not a cron. Config file is /etc/smartd.conf

Never mind :)