The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is Lame Nameserver

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by gopal, Feb 6, 2005.

1. gopal

gopal Guest

It sounds like a name server that has been added to DNS as a name server and it either never was a name server or has changed IP address so that it no longer matches its host record.

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    A lame server is one listed as authoritive (as in, it's listed as a nameserver in the domain record) but when queried, it responds as non-authoritive. Nothing you can do about it, and it's not very important.

if you want to stop logging the errors

pico /etc/named.conf

Find this section, at the top;

options {
    directory "/var/named";
    /*
    * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
    * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
    * directive below. Previous versions of BIND always asked
    * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
    * port by default.
    */
    // query-source address * port 53;
    };

After it add;

logging {
    category notify { null; };
    category lame-servers { null; };
    };

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Absolutely what dalem said, not gopal.

4. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Really?

In my circumstance, I run primary dns on my server and secondary is provided by my NOC on another server. When I set up a new domain on my server, I submit email, domain, IP to the secondary and it gets the zone file from me. For the most part this works fine. Occasionally for no apparent reason, a domain on the secondary will report as lame.

Not knowing any better, and as this is the only scary looking 'fail' when running a domain through dnsreport.com, I have a support ticket in with my NOC at the moment. If there's nothing to be done about it, and it's not that important, maybe I should leave him alone ;)

Still, pretty curious as to why this would happen to begin with? Especially given a recent case where I setup domain.com, domain.ca, and domain.net all in an identical fashion within a few minutes of each other and 2 of the 3 are fine, while the 3rd reports lame nameserver on the secondary.

5. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

It would mean that your secondary nameserver did not respond to the lookup request and is lame, for that domain anyway. Run dig against it and see for yourself. Lame means another server is attampting to query a dns server that has no clue what to tell you becuase it's not authoratative for that domain. You noc running the ns2 for you maybe dropped the ball or their system didn't refresh fast enough for you.

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

What rpmws said. When dalem said that there was "nothing you could do about it", he was referring to lame servers that are not under your control, i.e. for domains that you don't own. If you get lame server responses for your own servers then you need to resolve them otherwise people aren't getting to your server.

7. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Maybe somebody could help me understand these results...

When I use dnsreport.com to test the domain, I get...

Note: it is the secondary from my noc that fails

When I dig the secondary nameserver...

When I dig the primary I get...

My NOC did manually refresh the zone file recently because there was SOA disagreement in the serial#. That fixed the problems my client was having with the domain, but I think that was a band-aid.

Since the creation of lame nameserver records on my secondary seems random, should I try just having them deleted on the secondary and re-created altogether?

8. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

Maybe I am wrong but I think a lame result usually means that the answering nameserver has no record. At least in my case it has meant that. I am not sure what a "lame" record would be unless it pointed SOA to another source?