sniperscope

Apr 5, 2011
osaka/ japan
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hi all
This is my first post here and seems not going to be last one.
Anyway, i have couple of questions about WHM and cPanel.

I bought brand new server machines and installed centOS 5.5

So, what i want to do is building a web hosting company. But i am a php developer and never been behind of servers. This will be my first challenge.

Okay,
1 - what do i have to do for next step?
2 - What is WHM and WHMCS and cPanel?
3 - All those are different product or same but just name is different?
4 - If i want to buy(99.99% i am going to buy) which one do i have to buy?
5 - Which one do i have to install first?

I want to do same as hostgator or hostmonster or any other web hosting companies.

Client pay.
Information mail sent to client with a username, pass, ns addresses, ftp accounts...etc.
client go to https://somehost.com:2083
and wollaaa. Eevrything is there.
Web space is ready, mail address are ready to use, cron job, ftp, mx ...etc. everything is ready to use.

So, how can i do that. Any one willing to guide me through my rough time?

Regards

Note: i am currently reading "1000 clients in web hosting" book which is provided by hostgator and honestly i am not clearly understand everything in there.

linux-image

Jun 8, 2004
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
question :

1. Where do you have this server ? Ideally it should be located at a data center with good Internet connectivity.

to answer your questions :

1 - what do i have to do for next step?

Get new clients. This is supposedly the biggest challenge you will have now.

2 - What is WHM and WHMCS and cPanel?

WHM : is the control panel that you will use to create your client accounts, either a reseller or a normal client. Also, if you create resellers, they will use this control panel.
WHMCS : The panel that can be used to control account creation automatically. This is your billing arena, your customer support portal and so on.
cPanel : The control panel for your clients to manage their domains. This will also be the control panel to clients of your reseller.

I have explained this using as much less words as possible, but it would be nice if you can read documentations about cPanel from All Documentation

3 - All those are different product or same but just name is different?

As explained above.

WHMCS has to be purchased separate : WHMCS - The Complete Client Management, Billing & Support Solution . WHM and cPanel comes along with one cPanel install.

4 - If i want to buy(99.99% i am going to buy) which one do i have to buy?

I hope you are referring to uptime. In that case, please do your research and find out a data center that provides co-location. You can place your servers with them and you should get 99.99% if you did your research well. Once DC [data center] I would recommend is Colo4Dallas [http://www.colo4.com/]. I have couple of servers with them and it seems to have the 99.99%

5 - Which one do i have to install first?

Considering the choice between WHMCS, WHM and cPanel ; once your server is up and running at a DC, you will have to install cPanel : Quick Start Installation Guide ; then create a domain and install WHMCS inside it.

sniperscope

Apr 5, 2011
osaka/ japan
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Dear Linux-image
Thank you for your rapid response.
I am going to read documentation as you provide.

I don't want to use any rental DC. Because i want to learn everything A to Z by my self. And I have very high speed of internet. We call Hikari next in Japan. So i am sure i don't have any speed problem.

Sorry to tell you but more questions is on the way.

Thanks for helping

Last edited:

sniperscope

Apr 5, 2011
osaka/ japan
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Is it possible to install whm/cPanel and not install WHMCS. Because i am going to serve japanese customer only. And i want to send their bill/invoice by normal postal service.

And i am still reading guide lines but so far it is talking about fresh install with cd cpanel provided. That dvd include whm/cpanel already and install everything all together.
I want to install centOS first then i install whm/cPanel manually by my self. I don't like that much automation. Because i want to control every single steps.

Anyway, is WHMCS 100% essential software or not?

cPanelTristan

Quality Assurance Analyst
Staff member
Oct 2, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator

sniperscope

Apr 5, 2011
osaka/ japan
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
WHMCS != WHM
This is very very confused. Why WHM let another company use your name to make production?
Anyway, linux-image and cPtechie helped a lot.
Also i had chat techie guy through here and found answers of my questions...

Thanks for help