whipworks

Aug 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
Hi Support,

Seems that this has been an on-going issue on our old and new server. How do we fix this? Or even remove it? This "Other Usage‡" is taking up the disk space per account on our CPanel server and we can't find it anywhere. Hope to get some help. Thanks!

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Hi @whipworks

It really depends on where the usage is concentrated.

There's a few items that contribute to other usage the most common ones are as follows:

• Deleted but still in memory/open usage
Code:
lsof -nP +L1 | grep $user
or
Code:
lsof / |grep deleted
  • Actual usage outside the home directory - The following command will create a files_outside_homedir.txt list of files belonging to that user outside of their home directory. Make sure that you set the cpaneluser variable before running it Otherwise, it will fail with an error message. If they have a non-standard home directory, such as /mnt/"${cpaneluser}" rather than /home/"${cpaneluser}", then replace that as well.

Code:
    find / -path /home/virtfs -prune -o -path /home/"${cpaneluser:?remember_to_set_variables}" -prune -o -user "${cpaneluser}" -ls > files_outside_homedir.txt 2>/dev/null

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
There is no permanent solution to avoid "Other" usage because of the nature of it, unfortunately. Technically accounts shouldn't have data outside the home directory nor should they have data held in memory both of which are common factors that lead to this. What kind of other usage are you seeing?

whipworks

Aug 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
CPanel identifies this as....

"Other Usage‡

‡The files outside of your home directory, the metadata that the system uses to store email in the mail directory, the email in Trash folders, or the files that you do not have permission to access."

The problem is, everytime this comes up, it occupies an amount of disk space and it shuts down the account due to over quota. And since account owners don't have permission or access to remove it, they're basically stuck with their accounts not working.

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
I'm fully aware of what "Other" usage is, the thing is, it's really not that common of an issue where an account has a large amount of other usage. What happens in the instances where there is "Other" usage is most frequently the two situations I referenced. What I am curious about is what is causing your accounts to run into this issue regularly, which is why I wanted to know what kind of "Other" usage you're running into.