The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is recommended; Stable or Release on a production server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DataDork, Jul 20, 2005.

1. DataDork

DataDork Active Member

I am currently using the Stable version of cPanel but I wanted some opinion on what is the preferred version to run on a production box?

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

The biggest difference is that Release has a better chance for bugs, but since it's updated more often, it will also get fixes faster. Stable isn't supposed to have bugs, but it may have little ones now and then, in which case, it either gets fixed a few days later, or sometimes you need to switch for the fix.

If someone uses auto updates and is not monitoring things regularly, it's better to go with stable, but with manual updates or consistent monitoring, Release is a better choice. There aren't that many bugs, and when they do come up, they are fixed within hours.

We use manual current. Update whenever there's a reason to, then check everything out and update again a bit later if needed. Only had to do a second update twice in the last year.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Indeed. It's a matter of taste and how closely you want to monitor these forums and the changelogs. Personally, I don't like STABLE as it tends to have bugs that can take a long time to fix. RELEASE seems to be best for most clients that I see as it is more up to date without the general risk of very new features. Many like CURRENT, but personally, all my servers run EDGE and I update them manually when I see things being fixed in the changelog as, for me, it's the most responsive release. That said, you do live dangerously on EDGE, though I've had few problems that were not fixed by cPanel within a matter of hours.

4. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

This is exactally what I do and all my dedicated clients do the same. I follow the update logs and update often. I watch new features come in a bugs get fixed faster this way ..plus I contribute back to cPanel with suggestions and bugs so they get ironed out fast. all about 2000 domains ..been on edge since it was invented. No real complaints!! I see people with posts in here "this is broken ..that is broken" and I think damn ..wasn't that fixed a year ago?