The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is recommended way to upgrade redhat OS with cpanel/whm?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Buckaroo, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Member

What is the recommended way to upgrade my RedHat OS from 7.3 to 9 with cpanel already installed?

I want to upgrade my OS from 7.3 to 9 because I feel it will be easier for me to upgrade from redhat 9 to fedora or whatever cpanel will be supporting...plus it gives me more time since 7.3 is EOL end of year, and 9 is EOL Apr '04.

Does cpanel have a script to do this? Do I need to just update RH using apt or something similar? Does cpanel care if my RH 7.3 is upgraded to newer version, will it stop working?

If I decide an inbox upgrade is too risky, can I just migrate my sites to a fresh cpanel?

2. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

3. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I think you would be wasting your time. cpanel have stated they will release cpanel for Fedora and Enterprise by the end of the year. If they don't they will continue to upgrade 7.3 as they have always done. I have an up2date subscription but have never used up2date because cPanel have always updated everything.

To upgrade I will lease a new server and transfer accounts - should be pianless.

4. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Member

Thanks.

But, one of the things I want to know is "HOW" does cpanel handle the OS upgrade? I've never upgraded my OS wiith cpanel and I want to prepare as much as possible. For example, does cpanel do the actual OS upgrade or do I need to update the OS myself, then run an additional upgrade script for cpanel...or do I do nothing??? Do I just upgrade my OS and all should be working fine????

5. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    At the present time you need to upgrade the OS yourself. However since everyone will need to move from RH7 and RH9 cpanel may provide an unoffficial OS upgrade script, then again they may not. I'm just waiting to see. I'm certainly not going to upgrade the OS for 3 extra EOL months.

6. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

A lot of things SHOULD be painless.