The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is sergio-proxy

Discussion in 'Security' started by coldclimber, Dec 15, 2011.

1. coldclimber

coldclimber Active Member

Ok I have had a secuirty issue with whm by way of an iframe appearing at the bottom of every site. I have now tracked this down to a folder called sergio-proxy where there is an if.html file with the offending iframe in it. The folder consists of lts of other files aswell but i am not sure what should be there and what should not or even if the folder sergio-proxy is meant to be there either.

Any advice on file structure for this folder wouold be helpfull to remove the offending files.

2. faisikhan

faisikhan Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Please find the below link which I think relates to your problem:

/http://spareclockcycles.org/2010/06/10/sergio-proxy-released/

3. coldclimber

Can I ask is this some sort of hacking script that allows people to hack your site, or is it just the opposite. I have asked my host and they say it is required for cpanel, but after reading this i am not to sure, i don't like the sound of what they are saying.

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Did you read the link provided by faisikhan? It has portions such as the following in that article by the creator of sergio-proxy:

This is not part of cPanel and it appears to be purposely used to "infect", "inject" and "attack" victims as it indicates throughout the article.

5. coldclimber

Many thanks i thought something was not right i got this email from my host LCN.com

"Sergio-proxy is part of cpanel and should not be removed."

Unbelievable i have to say and i have paid them £240 to resolve this issue, and this is what i get back, i am sorry but i am lost for words

6. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not me, find a new host. Sorry if that sounds a bit blunt, but if this is their stance, you're with the wrong company.

We have a forum with offerings from Reputable Hosting Companies that offer cPanel and are cPanel Partners located here you might like to know about:
    cPanel PartnerNOC Hosting / License Offerings

7. coldclimber

Well after all that LCN has come through tops, Apparently saying sergio-proxy was meant to be on the server was a typo from them and it was meant to "not there" So anyway onwards with the restore process now which looks like it is going to take me 2-3 weeks